PDA

View Full Version : New Overflow idea...maybe

smontanus
02/04/2004, 02:16 AM
I have a 10g acrylic on the way for my first nano. The primary design goals are maximized tank space, reliability, and simplicity. I want a built in overflow, not any HOB, but I want to limit equipment and such in the tank. I'm thinking building an overflow box to the back of the tank using acrylic, then cutting a 1/4" high horizontal slit 4" wide at the desired water level to flow into the box. Will this work? Any structural problems with the tank? It seems like it would work. But I really want some second opinions before I butcher a perfectly good tank, already done that drilling glass.

kgross
02/04/2004, 02:30 AM
That will work fine. If you do a search on hang in back overflow, you should be able to find a couple of threads about just what you are thinking about doing.
Kim

smontanus
02/04/2004, 02:37 AM
I just read PaSReef1's post covering everything I needed. I must've missed it. Sorry for the repeat.

PaSReef1
02/04/2004, 05:27 AM
took the words right out of my mouth... let us know how you like it. mine works perfectly, dont put any egg crate in the slot or you will get noise I will poste how i made my egg crated shelf and slot block... leave a slight gap at the bottom of the slot so the water isnt divided or you will get gurgling as it goes over the slot wall

smontanus
02/04/2004, 12:46 PM
Any problems with the slot clogging?

PaSReef1
02/04/2004, 08:08 PM
not yet, but theres nothing in the tank when I did it... just water testing it...

I will show you how to setup the eggcrate grid behind slot to keep smaller stuff out...thing is 9" long by 1/2" high so it would take quiet a bunch of stuff to totally clogg that... The Standpipes are more of a concern but i Have two and they too will be protected by the eggcrate shelf.

smontanus
02/04/2004, 09:09 PM
sounds reasonable, I'm working on a 10g nano so I'll have to scale things down but I still think it will work fine. I've been thinking about adding an emergency drain bulkheaded directly to the back of the tank just above the waterline for added peace of mind.