PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about SCWD...

waverz
02/03/2004, 11:31 PM
I just got my tank going and now thinking about internal circulation. Are SCWD's worth it or could i just use a big powerhead for circulation. SCWD's say they stimulate coral growth, enhance fish health, and increases oxygenation in the water, but is worth the 35 bux?? I was thinking about just plumbing pvc from a submerged pump into each corner of the tank. Sure it wouldnt switch back and forth like a SCWD but there would be current everywhere. Maybe there is something i am missing about the SCWD but to me they seem worthless.

5thtonbench
02/04/2004, 12:19 AM
just installed mine 2 nights ago on the office tank. 29g with a mag 7 feeding the scwd. The flow is perfect, and I am watching things sway with the "random" currents its producing. Even though it switches pretty uniformly from side to side, the turbulance of the water and pattern does vary.

The concept goes back to how the biggest aquarium on earth functions ;) If you have ever been diving one of the things you would notice is the back and forth motion of life created by the ocean current. It rocks back and forth and not always uniformly. Since with out tanks, supposedly the closest we can get to ocean replication seems best, we try to simulate random currents in our tank, with powerheads and wave timers, or now with an scwd if you choose.

Personally, I am excited to see how this performs vs the mag 3 and single return that was running before.

Its silent, doesnt add heat to your tank, and my setup is so clean vs having powerheads everywhere and a wave timer and all the associated wiring. Plus I know my mag pump is reliable and being just 1 pump down in the sump it doesnt ugly up the tank!

For the 30-something I paid, I definitely think its one of the bonus cheap investments you can make that is beneficial, and cheap is rare ;)

bamann345
02/04/2004, 12:25 AM
I love mine. I have it on a Blueline 40 and it alternates quicker at a higher flow. I would deff. buy another one!

melev
02/04/2004, 12:31 AM
I've been running mine for about a year, and am delighted. The design I came up with (listed on my site, btw) has been copied by a number of people.

waverz
02/04/2004, 01:05 AM
Melev, nice design. Thing is mine is going to be internal, so basically the pump (RioHF20) will be on the bottom of the tank towards the back. From there, it could goto the SCWD then "T" off to each upper corner of the tank. Simple. I may buy one...

Henna Ojisan
02/04/2004, 01:23 AM
I've got one for my 40 gal and really like it. It keeps the power heads out of the tank and silent and worryfree. For $30 - why not try it - you could probably recover a good portion of your $$ if you decide to sell it later...

capescuba
02/04/2004, 10:59 AM
waverz,
For a tank your size (125g) I may elect to wait a few more weeks. I am building a 210 right now and had heard that the flow rate through thge current SCWD is great for smaller tanks, but when you start to get a little bigger the switching rate is pretty fast when run from higher flow pumps.

I contacted 3iQ (http://www.3iqventures.com/) to confirm rumors of a bigger model they are working on and they confirmed it will be release sometime this 1st qtr. It will be have 1" connections and be built for larger flow rates, so I am waiting for this to come out ... Monterrey Aquarium has been "beta" testing this one and seems to be working out great.

Dave

DSparks
02/04/2004, 12:25 PM
I love the concept. I installed mine this weekend on my 10 gallon. I did have to silicone a leak on the unit, and the thing is squeaking like a rabid mouse. I've attempted to contact 3iQ about it, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Overall most of the posts I've read do praise the SCWD, and I'd say I just got one of the few lemons that made it though Quality Control. Let's hope that they are willing to make things right.