PDA

View Full Version : double bulkhead????

d.deg
02/03/2004, 08:19 PM
I am looking for, I guess you would call a double bulk head.
I need to put to acrylic tanks together that have maching holes
drilled in them. It has to be water tight on both sides.

thanks dave

gilweb
02/03/2004, 11:04 PM
What about using regular bulkheads and using pvc to connect the 2 bulkheads. Use a small piece and paint it black to match assuming it is not going to be in water. HTH

--Gil

MarkM3
02/04/2004, 02:57 AM
Use a standard bulkhead. Place the gasket that came with it between the tanks, No seal is needed on the insides of the tanks. since there is already water on both sides of the bulkhead, your only concern is to prevent water from dripping out between the tanks.

T Sandman
02/04/2004, 08:36 PM
How close together do you want the tanks to be? I think that water will seep through the threads if you just put the gasket between the tanks and crank it.

I would use two threaded bulkheads, two male pipe/female slip couplings and a length of pvc.

niko5
02/04/2004, 08:50 PM
IF you go with the 2 bulkhead technique use flex pcv between them so it isent to ridged adn wont want to leak or something.

T Sandman
02/04/2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by niko5
IF you go with the 2 bulkhead technique use flex pcv between them so it isent to ridged adn wont want to leak or something.

That's even better! Good call.:D

dragon_slayer
02/04/2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by T Sandman
I think that water will seep through the threads if you just put the gasket between the tanks and crank it.

it wouldnt make any difference. the only place for it to leak to is the other side that is connected via the bulkhead anyways. the seal will keep it from leaking between the two tanks which is the wanted result.

kc

T Sandman
02/05/2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
it wouldnt make any difference. the only place for it to leak to is the other side that is connected via the bulkhead anyways. the seal will keep it from leaking between the two tanks which is the wanted result.

kc

You are correct. I could'nt visualize it before, but now I can. Though I wonder just how well the holes do line up.

dragon_slayer
02/05/2004, 09:54 AM
the holes would need to line up as close to perfectly as possible. the reason isn't the bulkhead leaking, its going to hold the two together very securely. if the two sumps don't line up it will cause stress on the sumps and can cause a failure.

kc

gossimer2
02/28/2004, 11:09 AM
MarkM3, I put the gasket between my sump and fuge. They sit side by side, it worked like a charm. Mike