PDA

View Full Version : Should you ever clean your sand bed?

Radicaljbr
02/03/2004, 04:52 PM
I am sure this is a stupid question, but I was doing my monthly 20% water change today using my BIG siphon. The siphone I use is one for cleaning gravel. I always try not to disturb the sand bed, but today I got it in the bed a little and noticed a crap load of dead material and brown water getting siphoned. It made this beginner think that maybe I should be sticking this siphone tube deap into my bed to clean it. Should I be doing this or not?

My bed is about 3 to 4 inches deap of live sand and not sure if you would call that a DSB or not. I keep thinking I should leave it alone, but man the dirt I picked up the one time I touched the sand was unbelievable.

I also know I put live sand in my tank, but have never seen anything "live" in there. not even in the dark with red lense on flash light.

thanks

John

bertoni
02/03/2004, 06:19 PM
If you want to have a DSB, don't vacuum it. Otherwise, you can if you want. I'm not sure how that much sand will behave with no functional fauna, though. It might compact and solidify, and perhaps get rather ugly, but beyond that I can't think of any negative consequences.

You might want to ask Dr Shimek in his forum.

marius03
02/03/2004, 06:24 PM
i have always vacuumed my sand bed. i only vacuum it every other water change, which would be once a month.

SLOANMAN
02/03/2004, 06:39 PM
dont vacuum...

Radicaljbr
02/03/2004, 09:20 PM
How can I tell if there is fauna? I mean the bag sadi live sand when I bought it. I did see one worm in it once, but that was right under some rock and I am sure he was originally from the rock. Shouldn't I be seeing some kind of critters in the sand? Especially at night.

ed102475
02/03/2004, 09:38 PM
I set up my 29 gal. fowlr on 12/18/03 and i have done 3 water changes since then. Two of the three times i cleaned the CC.I seen that when i did this that i was sucking up some of the living
creatures that lived in the substrate.I dont know if there is any
difference in the two substrates when it comes to vacuuming.
I would think you would see something in the LS if it was indeed
LS.I see many different creatures in my CC just from the LR alone.

bertoni
02/04/2004, 01:09 AM
Depending on the quality of live rock, you'll get some life from it, just as indicated. I can see, for example, hair worms and the burrows of other worms in the sand, so if you don't see anything, there's likely not much there except bacteria, and possibly some bristle worms. That might be enough to keep it churned a bit.

If you look in Dr Shimek's forum you can find some links to more information on sandbed fauna.

Radicaljbr
02/04/2004, 08:11 AM
Bertoni,

I will look at Dr. Shimeks forum later when I get home from work. Wanted to know though if it is possible to add things to it. It is really not the fine grade sand that I think most people have. It is more like crushed coral, but is only about have the size of crushed coral. Deffinatly not fine sand. Maybe I should change it all out?

bertoni
02/04/2004, 02:12 PM
Your substrate should be okay if you're willing to do the work to maintain it. I don't think seeding it with animals is useful given its size. I switched out my CC and am very happy, but doing the switch is a fair amount of work and if you're not careful, you can get some cycling effects.

Radicaljbr
02/04/2004, 03:34 PM
Is there a thread you can suggest that explains how to maintain?

thanks

John

nancysnuwave
02/04/2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
Is there a thread you can suggest that explains how to maintain?

Here's a thread (
tank bottom maintenance (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210605)) you might find interesting...

Chris:bum:

Radicaljbr
02/04/2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by nancysnuwave
Here's a thread (
tank bottom maintenance (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210605)) you might find interesting...

Chris:bum:

Thanks

I actually read about half that thread last night. never really saw anything on maintaining it other than you have to do it. Maybe I will go back and read the rest tonight.

thanks

John

nancysnuwave
02/04/2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
Thanks

I actually read about half that thread last night. never really saw anything on maintaining it other than you have to do it. Maybe I will go back and read the rest tonight.

thanks

John

I think it basically said to vacuum tank bottom (barebottom).. I think about once per week. It also points out that it is difficult to do this w/ sand bottom.

Radicaljbr
02/04/2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks...I actually have a long 3 foot sipohn tube attached to a 10 foot hose. I have really tried to stay away from vacuuming the bottom and have just used it to siphon water for water changes. A couple of times though the tube touches the bottom and I do notice the tube picks up the sand, but it will only travel about half way up then falls back down while the dirty water goes out the hose. I guess I will start siphoning my SB during next water change.

thanks again

John