PDA

View Full Version : Some simple RO troubleshooting tricks.

badpacket
02/02/2004, 11:37 PM
I am having a small problem with my new eBay RO/DI, which I now believe is related to slightly low water pressure. In response to my queries, the seller gave me some good tips/tricks for checking my RO system.

I especially liked the cheapo tire guage trick :)

"You may have a PSI issue......check the following:

The RO system does not use electricity and works on water pressure. Therefore, adequate psi is critical to the proper functioning of the system. there are three critical points at which the psi should be checked. A psi in line pressure gauge is available, but you can also use the water tank with a tire gauge to accomplish the same thing for free. 98% of the issues with an RO system are PSI related.

1) the psi from the red "feedwater" tube....take this line and run it directly to the tank and let it fill...take the tire gauge and read the psi...it should be over 40 psi....if not, then well water customers should kick the regulator up to 50/70 and city customers should drill out the needle valve hole with a 1/8" bit. The 40 psi is for normal water...if you have 800 TDS then figure 50 psi...1200 tds figure 60 psi 2000 tds figure 70 and sea water 36,000tds figure 700 psi ...(don't try it as the unit will blow up).

2) the psi from the white tube after the three pre-filters...this should also be 40 psi...if it is lower that 35 psi (the absolute min.) and the red is ok, then change out the filters. When the reservoir is low in West Vancouver, we pump muddy water...I had to change my filters after less then a month...a customer in Germany had the same experience. It is better to change filters than kidneys.

3) the psi from the blue tube coming from the RO Membrane...this should be at least 2/3 rds of the psi in the white tube...if not then flush the membrane. The avs needs the blue line to have 2/3rds pressure to activate and shut down the system. While the membrane is self flushing, the is a certain amount of caking that occurs and the membrane needs to be washed off,. Just put the valve on the flow restrictor into the "open" position (parallel to the line) and let it go for 30-60 minutes. It really works wonders.Pity the average RO owner who has the flow restrictor INSIDE the RO housing. Thanks, aquasafe."

Tetraodon
02/03/2004, 07:31 PM
cool, thanks!