PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Hair algae - what to do now?

Aquarookie
02/02/2004, 10:43 PM
:confused:
Hey all,
I have a "leftover" hair algae problem. In certain areas of my tank, mostly in the shaded areas there is hair algae. I switched to RO/DI water about 4weeks ago and it seems to have stopped growing but it wont go away. Can you give me your suggestions on what type of hermits or snails do the best job to eat this stuff. If you cant see it in the pic, let me know and Ill try to get a closer picture.
Thanks

Aquarookie
02/02/2004, 10:58 PM
anyone,

Tremelle
02/02/2004, 11:25 PM
You can always scrub it off, and then use a net to scoop it out. By waving a net kind of like a figure 8 pattern in the water column you can catch most of it.

Aquarookie
02/02/2004, 11:31 PM
Its in a lot of cracks and crevices. I was gonna try to do this the "natural way" and then sell the hermits back to the petstore. Wont scrubbing it make it start growing in other areas of the tank?

bergzy
02/03/2004, 12:06 AM
i removed the rocks that had hair out of the tank. put it in a vat of water from the tank. scrubbed the heck out of them. then put it in another vat of removed tank water. scrubbed the heck out of it. well, because i am anal retentive, i did it a third time.

then i gave the rocks three separate tank water baths.

make sure you dump all that water that was used in scrubbing the rock back into the tank. JUST KIDDING!!! :D

just dump the water away.

your rock should be pretty clean.

to prevent it from coming back. you gotta get rid of the nutrient source for the hair. and people who know me by now, know what i am going to say...'throw a fuge/algae filter with macro in it to absorb the nutrients that would have fueled the hair algae growth'. oh yeah, a fellow rc'er mentioned that old bulbs with a shifting spectrum could cause a hair bloom too.

Aquarookie
02/03/2004, 12:10 AM
Back in the tank -:lolspin:

Well then I guess I have something to do this weekend coming up!!
Thanks

SurferStevo
02/03/2004, 12:32 AM
Turkey baste those areas where detritus builds up. You know like on that large mat of zoos or just blow out the areas where the Hair Algae is. Do it at after the lights go out & feed your SPS.
I've been doing this more regularly now & the HA seems to be backing off a little bit more. One day, I hope to have it under control!