PDA

View Full Version : Trying to save a buck

Mersman
02/02/2004, 10:18 PM
I read somewhere that instead of having to purchase new canister filters for your RODI unit you can clean them with water and vinegar. Anybody try this?

hystrix
02/02/2004, 10:34 PM
What exactly are you talking about the canister or the actual filter?

Mersman
02/02/2004, 10:40 PM
I meant the actual filter inside the canister.

Reefadict
02/02/2004, 10:57 PM
If your talking about the RO membrane I would have to say no. The Membrane is soo tightly wound that it takes pressure to force the water through it. You would never get vinegar and water through. As for your other elements I would still say no. You would just be adding something ( vinegar) to the filter that they have to keep out of the product water. Not a bad idea though if your fish have that not so fresh feeling!

hystrix
02/02/2004, 11:42 PM
Thats a funny one Reefadict "Not a bad idea though if your fish have that not so fresh feeling" I would have to agree that vinegar wouldn't do anything. The carbon and prefilter are cheap enough to replace. The DI resin is expensive but I am sure that If you order in bulk you can get it for a decent price. The RO membrane is the money pit, but if you flush it and change your prefilter and carbon, the Ro membrane should last over a yr.