PDA

View Full Version : Chem-cast questions

shermlock
02/02/2004, 10:04 PM
Well, you will have to inform me if I just got stung. I called a plastics distributer and bought a sheet of Chem-cast and had it cut in 4 to ship cheaper. I did not recognize the name but asked if it was cell cast and she said it is cell cast. I asked word for word, "is this brand of cell cast acrylic strong enough for aquarium applications?" The person said, "oh, yes." I then asked, " this is a quality acrylic?" The person said, "oh yes."

Now I am only using this for a 24x16x10 sump. Do you folks think I will have a blow out? I am planning on using braces on the top and baffles.

I am so freaked out with this stuff now that I have found a few horror stories. Please give me some information.

I also went to the chemcast site and they said it was for aquariums so...

Thanks,
Scott

sportbiker29
02/02/2004, 10:49 PM
As long as you make good seems with the acrylic than you should be fine. It's not my first choice of acrylic but I've used it. You can find horror stories on just about anything. I would suggest you post this question under Acrylicman's thread(DIY). The people there have a ton of first hand knowledge!!! IMO you should be fine, just prepare the edges well.