PDA

View Full Version : Corals look bad

nitram10
02/02/2004, 09:15 PM
Hey guys i purchased 10 corals from garf about two weeks ago. about half of the corals have been looking good and the other half have not looked so good. now none of the corals look good. when i say they don't look good i mean their polyps are not coming out. The only one that looks decent is the green star. i have some yellow polyps which are pretty easy to keep from what i hear and their polyps came out the second day and i haven't seen them since. All my parameters are good and i have 260 watts of pc. anyone know what the problem could be because they look like they are not going to last to much longer. also if they die where do you guys recommend i purchase my next group of corals. thanks for any help...

Aquabucket
02/02/2004, 09:18 PM
How about some stats on those params? What size tank do you have?

wwxc
02/02/2004, 09:20 PM
What are your parameters exactly? We're going to need a whole lot more detail to figure this one out. Tank size, bulb type, filtration, fish, age of setup, history, etc.

nitram10
02/02/2004, 09:25 PM
sorry guys. i have a 55 gal. 1.023, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate. the tank has been set up for about 3 months now.

nitram10
02/02/2004, 09:26 PM
prizm skimmer, magnum 350 cannister filter, yellow tang, 2 ocellaris clown, tomato clown, blue tailed damsel.

eums
02/02/2004, 09:34 PM
ph ? alk ?
at a tank that young i recomend you buy 1 coral at a time. something easy like ricordea mushroom's or something. also your tank is stocked up to allmost the max. the tomato is probly going to get agressive towards the ocellaris. i have a 1 and a half inch tomato clown that chases a 4" foxface every now and then, the tomato is the boss of the tank.

take it slow with adding corals if there not looking good. and don't add any more untill you get the ones you have looking nice.

wwxc
02/02/2004, 09:39 PM
did you acclimate them correctly?

Danielle
02/02/2004, 09:42 PM
Also, What are the other frags besides GSP?

Danielle

Aquabucket
02/02/2004, 09:43 PM
Definately give us some alk and calcium readings. Meanwhile run some carbon. Make sure you soak it first in a seperate container of tank water.

nitram10
02/02/2004, 09:59 PM
i have a briareum, palythoa,yellow stars, zoanthids, gorgonian, colt. i don't have an alk or cal test.

eums
02/02/2004, 10:07 PM
what about ph ? ??? the gorgonian is probly going to die unless you start feading it phyto plankton. your going to need to get a alk test (esp if you want to keep corals) and CA is good to keep an eye on also

NicoleC
02/02/2004, 10:14 PM
You definately need Alk and Ca tests. The corals will probably want to see a full strength salinity of 1.025, but most of those are pretty hardy. Are you dosing anything into your tank?

Also, you should pick either the tomato or the ocellaris pair -- they will fight to the death eventually.

Aquabucket
02/02/2004, 10:24 PM
Maintaining a proper Alk level is one of the most important aspects of the hobby. Get a good test kit as soon as possible. Get your alk set and then go after your calcium levels. You should be able to save those frags. In the meantime I would do a water change with some properly buffered SW to get some of those levels going your way.