PDA

View Full Version : Pics of contruction of Oak wall unit...

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:33 PM
I began putting together my wall unit reef project this weekend. I still have a ways to go, however from the pics you should be able to get an idea of what I am shooting for. When all is said and done, it will be 14'X8' and in Oak. The center tank section will sit out from the wall 6" more than the lower side sections, and the bookshelves will sit back another 8" from the lower cabinets. On the right will be a computer desk. On the left the cabinets will be for equipment storage.

I have yet to order my tank, however I will be doing that in the next few days. The opening for the tank is 64" X 32" as it stands now. I am contimplating cutting out 12" on each side for a partial side view, then wrapping the molding around from the front. This would mean that I would need to have three sides in Starphire thus shooting up the costs a bit. I was originally planning on only the front panel. I am going to have a dual return center overflow.

I plan to have two holes drilled for a closed loop, then split the return to a 1" SeaSwirl in each corner.

For lighting I built a shelf at 39" from the base of the tank. I then cut out the door from this shelf at 61 ". I plan to mount my lighting on here and use snap hinges to raise and lower it. These are commonly used on cabinet doors. My tank height will be at 30".

I have cut outs for fans and such. I plan to use the area to the left for my chiller and pump for the loops.

As I progress I will post more. Any ideas of comments, fire away!

If you want to see all the pics I have thus far, check out my yahoo folder:

http://photos.yahoo.com/lebigfishmiester

;)

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:35 PM
And another...

a little stand overkill

:lol:

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:36 PM
And another...

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:38 PM
And another...

This is where I am thinking about cutting out some of the side panels to provide a better view. This will still hide my closed loops...

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:40 PM
I plan to mount the lighting to the area that was cut out. The holes in back will be for fans to push the air up and out the top. There will also be a 4 inch opening in front of the lighting shelf to create a good flow around my lighting.

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:41 PM
Still need to mount the shelving above the desk. I ran out of wood...or actually Lowes ran out of wood!! ;)

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 07:47 PM
I just checked I had the yahoo folder as private. I changed it to public. I also have a drawing of my sump and plumbing. The only difference is that I decided to go with a center overflow instead of the ends.

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 10:02 PM
Can I hear an Amen? Any thoughts on the early stages of the project?

Lunchbucket
02/02/2004, 10:33 PM
dang looking nice

can't wait to see the finished project

Lunchbucket

Reefmiester
02/02/2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks LB,

I have had some tell me I am going backwards on this project by building everything then ordering the tank, however since I am ordering a custom tank it will work. Once I get it all built, I am going to lay out all my plumbing, etc. then start ordering the hardware.

I figure I have 8 weeks on the tank, so...I have plenty of time. To me the planning is almost as fun as stocking the tank.

;)

Lunchbucket
02/03/2004, 12:00 AM
wish i was taht good w/ a saw...guess i could be i just don't have the time or the $$ to try :(

Lunchbucket

Reefmiester
02/03/2004, 12:53 AM
I wish I could be a DIYr with a skimmer, sump, etc. That is where you save the money. Actually for this big unit I am only out around $400 in materials thus far. Then again my connections at the lumber yard always help!! ;)