PDA

View Full Version : My story of Moo, Ich and our amazing blue tang

Qofther
02/02/2004, 06:38 PM
So this is a story about my amazing blue tang. He is just a wee baby - about the size of a nickel. :cool:

Well, we have had quite a little ich outbreak thanks to "Moo" the cowfish. He has just had a time with the stuff and our hospital tank hasn't cycled enough to get him in there. The yellow tang was the only other fish that got some spots on his fins and luckily everybody else had been able to avoid it.

So we have been treating the tank with some of those reef safe chemicals and it has helped tremendously, but poor Moo still has spots on his fins. The ich spores were still all over the glass of the tank and wouldnt go away. :mad:

With time our excitement of thinking we were actually kicking the nasties kicked in and we found this little blue guy and couldnt pass him up at the lfs. I know - pretty stupid since we knew we werent over the ich hump yet... but he was so cute and needed a nice new home! :D

The little blue tang had to swim very hard in the current of his new home but all in all was eating well and seemed very happy. Even with Moo whos personality is bigger than his 100 gal home, he was a nice addition. The new tang even ate a few of the ich spores off the glass! We though baby didnt know any better and hoped and prayed the digested spores wouldnt harm him.

Now.... a few days later our prescious dissapeared! He was no where to be seen and we thought for sure he was a goner to the cleaning crew! We were not happy parents! :eek1:

So during the next water change, I was having troubles getting the over flow working properly so I peered back behind the tank to the back of the overflow and you know what I saw? Bright blue the size of the nickle! And at closer inspection... he was moving!!! I couldnt beleive it! That little guy went on a roller coaster ride through the overflow teeth, up through the tube and down the back side to where the sponge filter thingy is! And he had been living there for over a week with barely any room to move!!! :eek1: :D And you know what else was back there? Noen goby #2 who had been missing for over 2 weeks!

Back in his home, we laughed and cried we were so happy to see him agian. And then... we watched him as he ate more ich spores!

Now, I have never read anything about blue tangs being a control item for ich, but this amazing little guy seemed to be doing the job. (Along with the neons who try their darndest to get at Moo only to be shook off like water off a wet dog) Our glass is free of spores, Moo is down to his last couple of spots on his fins and everyone else seems healthy and happy. Hopefully to live happily ever after.

:D

guitarfish
02/02/2004, 09:02 PM
Cute story. I get attached to my fish too.

Ich is not visible to the human eye. When you see white spots on the fish, you are seeing a mucous reaction the fish produce.

If you have ich in your tank, the odds are it won't leave unless you properly treat for it. Try this link for some accurate information:

ATJ's Marine Ich Reference (http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html)