PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical filtration before DIY refuge/sump

jeffriryan
02/02/2004, 05:38 PM
I'm putting together a 20 gallon refugium/sump for my tank. It will set in my cabinet below my tank. It will be your standard DIY style with the first chamber being the skimmer, second is the refuge and the third will be the output chamber. My problem is that I would like to make a "filter box" of some sort that will mechanically filter the water before it goes into the skimmer chamber and/or provide for an area to place carbon or phosponge. My idea is to build an acrylic box of some tpye that will sit just above the skimmer chamber and funnel filtered water down. Does anyone have a good idea of how to do that? My plan would be to mimic a trickle type system with the box containing a perforated acrylic sheet then egg crate that can hold filter media or carbon etc...

I'm open to change the design completely and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

T Sandman
02/02/2004, 07:56 PM
Cut a length of 4"pvc to your liking. put a cap on the bottom. Drill a hole near the bottom about 3/4 to 1"(if you need more holes then drill more). GLue in a section of egg crate above the hole. Then put your carbon in bags and toss them in there. Put this under your drain from the tank and your done. You can make one for the output of your skimmer too if you want.

It worked for me when I used it.

jeffriryan
02/02/2004, 09:05 PM
Does that make alot of noise? I'll have to look into that. Thanks. Any other ideas. Not to be rude, T Sandman, I'm just taking my time with this project and evaluating sevaral alternatives instead of rushing in like I have in the past...only to want to change it in a month or so. Like for instance when I got into this hobby I spent a bunch of money to buy a sump, which I know know can be made for nothing. Live and learn.

T Sandman
02/02/2004, 11:15 PM
no, it is not noisy. And it's cheap.

jeffriryan
02/03/2004, 09:07 AM
Cool. Any other ideas out there?