PDA

View Full Version : goniopora and phytoplankton

p_cocher
02/02/2004, 05:38 PM
hello,

I'm beginning with a 'Jaubert Tank' and the start is good since 7 months, I think. There are not problems in this tank but...
I bought a goniopora : I made a mistake, I didn't know that was a goniopora !

In documentation, especially articles on the web I read about goniopora : survival ? ten months max :-( This coral live in water hightly loaded of nutritive elements ; is not really the case in my tank. Otherwise, the keys of husbandry of this coral would be a good quantity of Fe element and mainly phytoplankton.

My goniopora is in my tank since two months ago and the polyps are opened everyday... But I am anxious for it and I don't know if I have to supply with phytoplankton ?

Thank you for your reading.

Récifalement

Chris

pixburg-reefer
02/02/2004, 05:43 PM
well, maybe you could take it back. Tell them they sold it to you as something diferently, and you do not want it.
Other wise, what color is it, and how big is it? The green eem to do the worst in captivity. The red and purple seem to do the best. Plankton may work, but you won't know until you try. My green likes less light, and no flow. I got a piece the size of a dime, for free.
Kelly

p_cocher
02/03/2004, 06:30 PM
for Kelly :

Sorry, but the salesman is not an expert and I can't take it back.
The salesman doesn't know the correct names of corals.

My goniopora is green ! It's worst, isn't it ? I place it in low light and flow me too. This night, I have seen a worm into the polyps, what is the risk ?

Kelly, thank you for yours comments.

Récifalement

Chris

mojodeli
02/03/2004, 06:46 PM
I've had a green gono for over a year. Contrary to what's been said my loved my 250w iwasakis. It's also seemed to like the flow and under those conditions it produced five babies.

pixburg-reefer
02/03/2004, 06:50 PM
no, not good. goniopora are commin are for carrying these worms. I can't remember what they are called but i THINK they eat the tissue. I am not positive though. Do a surch, on different forums. I have printed out lots of info and opinions about this coral, all from reef central. I will try to find it out for you. I don't think you can get rid of this worm. :( I do not have it thankfully.
Yes, green has the shortest life USUALLY. Yours may be different, but that worm is NOT good. Not all gonioporas like low light, that is just what mine likes. It is not good to have them in low flow because then "dirt" sits on it, and it can not remove it its' self. It gets between the polyps and the coral dosn't like this. hth
Kelly (oh, another VERY important question is, does it already have tissue loss? If so, that is not a good sign.)

^CelticReefer^
02/03/2004, 06:52 PM
directly under 4 96watt PCs. I do dose DTs, though not necesarely for the Goni, had it for almost a year, fully extends everyday, looks really healthy. Don't believe everything you read to be fact. They are not impossible to keep. Good Luck. The fish store near me has one the size of a soccer ball, AWESOME, though I wouldn't chance one that large.
Bri:D

pixburg-reefer
02/03/2004, 06:55 PM
see, so people have the same coral, some do better/worse, and are under different conditions. You just need to find out what yours likes best. Some people have had great success with using refugiums.
Kelly

pixburg-reefer
02/03/2004, 09:47 PM
ok, lots of VERY good information under the coral forum. Do a surch. But, i did find this very interesting artical, actutally had some of it happen to my self.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=310982&goto=newpost

I HAD a pink and purple favities (?) it was like a brain coral. Well, i had some ricordias close to it. After i added the coral to my tank, next to the ricordias, it started to die, from something that the ricordias put off, into the water. So this is a very interesting artical, and some good info about how goniopora MAY AFFECT YOU! HTH
Kelly

pixburg-reefer
02/04/2004, 08:20 AM
I am so sorry. Here is the correct link. This link is about hard corals and their toxicity. I has some info about goniopora, but very interesting artical in general.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/cw.htm
this artical is 2 years old, but still has very interesting information in it. If this artical doesn't work for you, and you REALLY want to read it, go to the coral forums, then surch under -blastomussa sensitivity to allelopathy-
and the link is almost 2/3 the way down the page.
Kelly