PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin: How hardy is it?

SMS76
02/02/2004, 03:13 PM
I know about pods and how important it is for this fish to survive on pods but just want to know how hardy this fish is assuming you have good pod populations?

vinstr
02/02/2004, 03:19 PM
As long as you've got lots of live rock set up for at least 6 months to ensure a good pod population they are very hardy...I've had mine for about two years and he looks awesome-he has never eaten even one speck of food I've put in the tank (frozen, flake, frez dried, raw fish, etc)
Everyone I know who has one has had great success with no dieseases, etc- you just need an establighed large reef tank (I say large because you have to make sure he not only has enough to live on but the population has to be able to sustain itself with the mandarin's constant feeding- if it's too small a population, the mandarin will decimate the pop and then starve...

OrionN
02/02/2004, 03:20 PM
Mandarin are very hardy if you have enough for them to eat. The hardly ever get sick. I got beat-up, thin Mandarin and fatten them up in a few months. If they died in captivity, it almost certain that they died of starvation.
My current pair spawned within 1 month of placing in my tank. They are only about 1.5 inches long.
http://www.maast.org/albums/Minh-Nguyen/Mandarin03.jpg
Minh

nvert
02/02/2004, 03:25 PM
I agree with Minh and vinster....very hardy if you have ample pods to sustain them. I have 40g with close to 80lbs of live rock and waited 1 year before getting a little psychedelic green dragonette from the lfs that was very emaciated. In a few weeks time he filled out and is now actually very fat! AWESOME little fish with a great personality.

Scuba Dog
02/02/2004, 04:03 PM
Minh Nguyen
interesting a mandarin pair, my male does quite well.......added a small female but she died a few days later.......not reallt shure shy maybe stress of the travel aclamation or what ever, I would like to add another felmale..........but I would like to know should I try to get a female the same size smaller or larger than my male, and will they be peaceable or , would she be viewed as a potental threat? would love any information you would have?

OrionN
02/02/2004, 04:11 PM
SD,
Add a smaller female. They pair much easier when male are larger.
Minh

corey lance
02/02/2004, 04:18 PM
They never reproduced have they if so that is the first case I have ever heard.

They look great thanks for the info.
Corey

lil_mikey69
02/02/2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Minh Nguyen
Mandarin are very hardy if you have enough for them to eat. The hardly ever get sick. I got beat-up, thin Mandarin and fatten them up in a few months. If they died in captivity, it almost certain that they died of starvation.
My current pair spawned within 1 month of placing in my tank. They are only about 1.5 inches long.

Minh

That's an amazing pair of fish you have. :eek2: