PDA

View Full Version : Snail in the powerhead?

ceberon
02/02/2004, 02:47 PM
I'm a new reef person, so bear with me please.

I have a nano-cube, and threw in an extra powerhead to get more circulation. I believe it's a 50 gph max powerhead. Anyway, the intake is on the top of the powerhead, not in a cone shape on the bottom as I've seen before, but with grills on the top of the powerhead.

I've seen my snails go near the powerhead a few times, but never on top of it. Yesterday I looked at the tank and saw that a Cerith had crawled up on top of the powerhead. I wondered about the intake and if it could actually get away, or if it was possibly stuck. I unplugged the powerhead and the snail still didn't move, gave it a slight tug on it's shell and eventually pulled it's very long body up out of the powerhead (dead snail).

While one of the blue legs seems to really enjoy his shell, I would rather this not happen to any more of my snails. I'm also worried about the grills in the intakes on the filter.

Should I attach some type of sponge to the top of the powerhead in order to make sure snails can't get onto the intakes? What type of sponge? How should I attach it? I was wondering if a normal sponge is reef safe.. or if something would be sold in a lfs. I'd rather not perminantly attach the sponge, since I assume anything I put ontop of the intake would need to be regularly washed.

rbaker
02/02/2004, 03:09 PM
ceberon,

[welcome]

Glad to have you aboard... :D

How big are the slots in the powerhead?

Ryan

ceberon
02/02/2004, 03:20 PM
How big are the slots in the powerhead?

Approximately 3-5mm? The slits are almost exactly as wide as the body of the snail. The shell has no chance of slipping inside, but the body fit in there perfectly. I know when I pulled him out, the body was scraping both sides of the slit.

SPC
02/02/2004, 03:28 PM
I only use a power head to blow my rocks off a couple times a week but one time left it in the tank running over night. The next morning I found one of my silver dollar size Mexican Turbos in the same condition you found your snail, ceberon:( .

You might want to see if there is a strainer that will fit the bottom of the power head. The only problem with sponge fillters is you have to clean them every day or so in a reef tank or organics can become a problem.
Steve