PDA

View Full Version : Xenia Reproduction??

lacie143
02/02/2004, 01:33 PM
How do umbrella xenia reproduce? Do they drop their heads? Shortly after moving my tank, my xenia starting acting weird. At first it appeared to be splitting, but then it looked like it was trying to pinch itself off. Well it did, but all i've found are the individual mouths. Is this how it reproduces. I only have one stalk; i got it as a frag. Its been fully opened and looking amazing, and now i just have a dozen tiny mouths that i've placed in the holes of the rock, hoping they'll attach, and the base of the original. Anyone know?

Dead Sea
02/02/2004, 04:21 PM
My Red Sea Xenia does that on occasion and usually the dropped heads becomes a new colony.

R

lacie143
02/02/2004, 07:22 PM
so i didnt kill it and my tank should be fine then? Thanks for the info, i was getting worried

Dead Sea
02/02/2004, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't worry unless one of the more experienced reefers say to.

R

Reefmedic79
02/02/2004, 11:19 PM
If you manage to kill any type of Xenia call Ripleys. IMO it grows like a weed and I currently am selling a frag a week to my LFS

Saliki
02/02/2004, 11:28 PM
Ya....my umbrella Xenia splits....bows and bends...then looks like silly putty as it tears itself apart...then it is in 2 spots!
Grows like mad!

Frick-n-Frags
02/03/2004, 06:08 AM
Mine actually creeps along leaving little ones behind it. They seem to split into 4's sometimes too. When I clean off the Xenia around my SPS, even a tiny scrap that drifts off turns into a new one.

A frag a week? What, is it dying? :D (just kidding, I swapped for salt and light bulbs for over a year for Xenias) Now I give them away 50 or more at a time at frag swaps.

LowCel
02/03/2004, 12:26 PM
I've been pretty lucky with my xenia too. I was gives some a couple of months ago. Since then I have traded frags of it to my lfs for 5 or 6 more corals and a couple of fish. I figure I will be able to stock my whole tank from the store credit I get from the xenia. I LOVE XENIA!!! :D