PDA

View Full Version : DIY corner overflow...HELP!

billpa
02/02/2004, 01:31 PM
I am thinking of building a sump system for my 44 pentagon corner tank...I want to build an overflow box that would sit in the back corner so it would be unobtrusive and "blend in"...My live rock structure presently climbs up to the back corner...I still have plenty of depth...around 8-12 inches back there...so i was wondering how I would go about building a corner overflow without drilling the tank...something that would sit inside the tank...any links would be greatly appreciated...thanks

billpa

Glass World
02/02/2004, 01:35 PM
You really can't have a corner overflow without drilling the tank. If you don't want to drill the tank you'll need to use an overflow box.

Brett

billpa
02/02/2004, 01:40 PM
okay...now Im not so confused...so I can just make an overflow box that sits in the back corner...do you know of any DIY sites that can help?

billpa

Trackz
02/03/2004, 02:13 AM
Different semantics maybe. Glass World is talking about the plastic/acrylic overflows that run from the top of the tank to the bottom (inside it). It typically has holes drilled in the bottom of the tank so the water has somewhere to go once it "overflows".

You are going to need something that sits part inside and part outside. The water flows in and then gets siphoned to the outside where it carried to the sump. Is that what you want to build? You can buy them fairly cheap.

PaSReef1
02/03/2004, 04:54 AM
Do a HIBO if you have an acrylic tank I recommend this method... It works great and is not that hard to do.... ITs worth it! Mine works perfectly and is totally silent taking up NO realestate in the tank.. Plus no gluing inside the tank at all DO IT!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2357799#post2357799

billpa
02/03/2004, 09:01 AM
great idea PaS but I don't have an acrylic tank...its glass...oh well.

billpa

PaSReef1
02/03/2004, 07:50 PM
welp you can do that too with glass just a lot more work...

here is a link on it... give it whack you can doit! you could even make the box out of acrylic and glue it on the back of the glass somehow... make the box black and hopefully you have a black backed tank then you wont see the glue through the glass

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=271539

billpa
02/03/2004, 10:04 PM
too risky for me...I'll stick with getting an overflow box...thanks for the link though!

billpa

PaSReef1
02/03/2004, 10:36 PM
no brain... no pain.. lol ya looks pretty hairy even if you were skilled it would be a challenge..

just do a box use a Cjstandpipe or Stockman in the overflow to keep it quiet

billpa
02/03/2004, 10:47 PM
and even hairier when your tank is stocked! thanks for the advice

billpa

PaSReef1
02/03/2004, 10:48 PM
jeezzz i would think so... lol ya siphon is the way for you... just go get an overflow with siphon CPR are around 50$