PDA

View Full Version : kalkwasser or calcium reator?

wcb123
02/02/2004, 12:34 PM
What is better or I should say easier? Setting up a kalkwasser auto topoff system or setting up a calcium reactor with co2 injection.
I'm looking for a system that needs as little attention as possible.
What do you use and why?

mhurley
02/02/2004, 12:45 PM
First,

[welcome]

Second,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I use both systems, but I have a lot of water and really need both. Each has their own set of benefits, as described in that article.

Hope that helps.
Mike

Florida Reefer
02/02/2004, 12:58 PM
Definately a reactor is easier and requires less attention. I've used both and wouldn't go back to Kalkwasser. If your system is heavily stocked with SPS I don't think you can maintain Ca and alk levels with kalkwasser where with a reactor you can very easily. Prior to getting a reactor I was adding 10 gallons of kalk a day along with 5x the recommended amounts of part A & B and still couldn't keep the levels up where they should be. There is a large up front expense with a reactor but it you have a heavily stocked SPS tank you will get your return on the dollar pretty fast as opposed to kalk and chemicals.

PilotNY
02/02/2004, 01:08 PM
I would have to also agree with Florida Reefer. I had a 55 gallon tank and went the B-Ionic route and used kalk for my makeup water. I was always chasing the numbers trying to get them where I wanted them. When I set up my 110 gallon tank last Sept., I invested in a Aquacontroller II and a calcium reactor from My Reef Creations. It sucked handing over all that money up front, but after 5 months, my tank has never look as good as it does now and my maintenance has been cut by at least half of what I used to do. mhurlet is right that both have there own uses, but I am so glad I invested in a reactor.

Carl

wcb123
02/02/2004, 02:58 PM
Mike, Wow thanks for the great link tons of info there.

Florida Reefer & PilotNY, I have also had trouble keeping my levels up with B-Ionic

I have not tried kalkwasser and I didn't want to spend the money for a reactor setup but I love my reef and if it works well I'll go for it.