PDA

View Full Version : Best Reef Charity?

looser
02/02/2004, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know of an excellent place to donate money that will be directed at saving the reefs? I know we all try our best at taking care of our live stock, and some if not most of us use at least some tank raised coral and fish, but lets face it, our hobby contributes to the demise of coral reefs. Therefore, I'm making a personal commitment to donate 50% of the money I spend on live stock from now on to a charity that helps ensure the reefs will be a sustainable resource. Any suggestions on where I should send the money? Thanks.

MiddletonMark
02/02/2004, 10:56 AM
Well, for the newest one ... I know Eric is just starting a study of Elegance corals in aquaria ... and IMO there are two hobby-related ways that we can help things:

studies like this [ http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310425]

education of new reefers and SW hobbyists

I think that the more education and good advice, the less likely people are going to buy doomed creatures, and creatures that don't belong in tanks.
Getting good knowledge and advice out there is hard - as I know people I thought `got it' at times express either desire for a pretty creature despite knowing problems [flowerpot, rare anemone, rare fish] or else think they are the exception.

But even otherwise ... the loss of fish to easily prevented/helped diseases like Ich, to incompatible tank-mates, to improper setups to house them .... we are getting the word out - but itis slow and scary given the amount of people who pick up the hobby all the time.

I really like your plan - and think that a lot can be done in the above topics, and likely `on the reef' as well to help sustain the wild populations and environment along with making sure better care is taken of those things `harvested' for the hobby.

`Tagging along' on this one ...

looser
02/02/2004, 12:10 PM
MiddletonMark - Thanks. Looks like a good one, and I concur with your remarks on education and studies. I'm going to send Eric a check. But for the future I was thinking more in terms of a sustained none profit effort that is more focused on the wild reefs or maybe some type of clearing house for reef related charities/studies.

My thought is that captive fish and corals, on average, might even have a longer life expectancy than they do in the wild, but almost all of them (relatively speaking) have zero chance of reproducing. I suppose the benefit of extending the lives of captive live stock is that it lessons the burden on natural reefs. (if a fish lives for 10 years instead of 5 in captivity than presumably over time I would taking half the fish from the reefs that I otherwise would have).

Anyway, I guess to be more specific I was looking for some type of clearing house or long term charity that is focused on sustaining and perhaps even expanding reef environments. I don't mean to sound lazy, but once I am convinced that an organization is worthy of my support than I can put the name and address in my Palm Pilot and just send them a check every time I make a purchase.

Any more suggestions?

technoshaman
02/02/2004, 01:49 PM
Coalition Of Reef Lovers

www.corl.rog

Shifting Baselines

www.shiftingbaselines.org

magicreef
02/02/2004, 02:10 PM
I've been looking for a good one too. I currently belong to the world wildlife fund.

You can also look in these:

www.coralreefalliance.org
www.oceanalliance.org
www.oceanconservancy.org

GSMiller
02/02/2004, 04:11 PM
This place. www.GARF.com

Jim in santa barbara
02/02/2004, 04:24 PM
http://www.oceanfutures.com/

Jean-Michel Cousteau's org.

K9
02/02/2004, 04:25 PM
Gee, that's funny...I didn't know that race cars help save the reef. I don't think www.GARF.com has anything to do with saving the reefs...try again.

Jim in santa barbara
02/02/2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by K9Decoy
Gee, that's funny...I didn't know that race cars help save the reef. I don't think www.GARF.com has anything to do with saving the reefs...try again.
www.garf.ORG

looser
02/04/2004, 12:16 PM
Sorry it took me so long to check in. I've been away. Thanks Everyone. I will check out the links and select at least one to support. Any ideas on how we could expand on this idea and get others to do the same type of thing. I know not everyone can do 50% but even if it where 10% or 20% of live stock purchases, if enough of us did it I think it could have a significant impact. How about a "25% Club"? Or what if RC set up an optional "charge" of $10 per year that went to support saving the reefs? I don't know, it just seems like we all talk about our concern for the reefs but I'm not sure how many actually do something about it. Maybe I'll do a pole.