PDA

View Full Version : Hanging lights

rdnyva
02/02/2004, 10:15 AM
OK I just hung my new lights from the ceiling. I had a hard time centeringthem over the tank, I didn't know ifthere was a sytem or specfic way to measure but they are now up, just a bit off center. So now I thought I'd like to raise them for tank maintenance and wanted to put them on a pulley. I usedthin metal cable to hang them and cannot get a good grip to pull then up. So I was wondering what everybody else does. What kind of system do you use, is mine good or bad. Is there a mechanism than can pull the cable to raise the lights - manually or automated?

adam_not4u
02/08/2004, 01:55 AM
I'm still in the construction stages in fact I got the rest of the material today and will install tomorrow.

What I'm going with is 1/16" medal cables, crimp connectors (doubled up), 3- pulleys, 4- sm. I-Bolts, 1- med. I-bolt, 3- hooks to hang the pulleys, 1- L-Bracket, and 1- quick release slip/grip stationary connector.

I'm going to install the 4- sm. I-Bolts in each corner of my canopy.

From there I'm going to double up the crimp connectors around each I-Bolt to form a loop going thru the bolt.

On the short sides of the canopy I'm going to bring both of the wires from the I-Bolts to the center of the canopy forming a triangle. Making another connection by dbl. crimp conn. to bring the two wires together to form one going up

The wires on each end are heading up to 2- pulleys located directly above the center of the two ends of the canopy.

After both wires travel thru their pulleys they will go together into the med. size I-Bolt that is located about half way in between the 2- pulleys and the wall. After going thru the I-Bolt I will make another conn. w/ dbl. crimp conn. to bring the two wires into one.

The one wire that's formed after the 2- wires go thru the I-Bolt will travel towards the wall to hit one last pulley before it goes down the wall.

After it hits this pulley it's heading down the wall to a L- Bracket mounted behind the tank in arms reach at a comfortable level. Mounted to this L-Bracket is the quick release conn. that allows me to pull down on the cable but won't let the canopy slip when I let go. In order to bring the canopy back down... there is a release button located right where the wire runs thru this conn. but you've got to hold on to the cable to let it back down slowly

Kinda hard to explain w/o pics but I hope you get a pic of what I'm going to do! Good Luck!

rdnyva
02/17/2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks Adam, sounds like you have a plan. Do you have any pics by any chance so I can get a better visual.

Hobster
02/17/2004, 01:34 PM
I just hung my 4' MH/CF hood over a 75gal. I centered the hood on top of the tank and used a plumb bob centered over the eye hooks to find the spots on the ceiling. I installed 2 eye bolts into the ceiling after going into the attic and put in two cross beam 2 x 4 's. I then just used black chain from Home Depot. I left extra length on the chain so I can either rest it on top of the tank or move it up or down as many links as needed. Just slip the link over the eye hook on the hood for infinite adjustment. Simple, low tech, will never fall in, but works for me and cost less than $10.:D