PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reator effluent for large SPS tanks

Malcolm_C
02/02/2004, 09:51 AM
Hello all. I have a MyReef dual chamber reactor (holds 35 pds of media), I modified it so it recycles excess co2.

What is the lowest alk\calcium effluent you can achieve with your reactor? I played around with a few settings. With my reactor running my tanks calcium can drop 5-10- pts a day, and my alk can drop a full point. These are my experiments

When I run a efficient of a mil’s a sec my calcium effluent is 800 and my dkh is 18 (reactor ph is 6.4 from the second chamber) co2 bps about 2

When I run a effluent of 2 mil’s a sec my calcium effluent is 600 with a alk of 15 (reactor ph is 6.1 from the second chamber) c02 bps about 3

I’m considering building a larger reactor that would hold 100pds of media, how low can the ph in a reactor go before it becomes mush, I can't seem to get below 5.9 and that’s hard to get without tweaking my reactor once a day.

Any of you guys with large SPS tanks maintain calcium\alk with just a reactor?

Thanks

grim
02/02/2004, 10:05 AM
Just an observation Malcolm.. Your effluent alkalinity seems way too low to be useful.. I'm running about 40ml/min on my tank (granted a small tank), single stage reactor 40 bub/min, effluent ph 6.7, effluent alk 25-29dkh. Your effluent Alk seems very very low compared to what most people run.

With an effluent pH that low, you can probably add a 3rd chamber to your reactor to try to use some of that excess co2 to melt more media, certainly going to be easier than getting or building a new reactor.

I don't think most people go below 6.5pH unless they are using a very hard to dissolve media, especially out of the second chamber.

jb