PDA

View Full Version : I build the stand, Now the floor is not level.

Pinkskunk
02/02/2004, 09:43 AM
I built the stand for my 180 out of 2x4.

Now i put it in place and the next thing you know is i have an uneven floor, or did i not build a perfect stand? :-) Whatever the case, i need your input to tackle the problems i have at hand.

Do i put the shims (spelling?) under the 2x4 as an attempt to level it with the floor? or do i use the self leveling cement and let it fill the voids by itself?

LOTUS50GOD
02/02/2004, 09:51 AM
are you on concrete, or carpet. If concrete, I would consider some leveling compound. Carpet I would shim.

Pinkskunk
02/02/2004, 09:56 AM
i am on 3/4" plywood subfloor.

rbaker
02/02/2004, 10:07 AM
I would use wood shims. Be sure to shim the entire span so you don't create any high stress points...

JMO,

Ryan

Coral Dilema
02/02/2004, 10:56 AM
Depending on how far out of level the floor is you might consider using floor jacks underneath the house, if possible. Not only would this level the floor (if it is slightly out) but it would provide extra bracing to make sure it stays level over time. If it is out too far you wouldnt want to use jacks as the extra pressure on the floor to level it would also be transfered to any nearby walls and could cause cracking on the joints.

reefmutt223
02/02/2004, 01:46 PM
My floor was a good bit out off level, 1"1/2 in 6 feet, this is what you do, shim your stand untill it is perfect, take 2x6 and cut to fit on the inside off the bottom ring, screw from front and back. This willprove to be very strong and removeable if you move or something, take shims out when done and the new braces will hold the load. Be sure to brace the whole way around the frame. You could also use 2x4 depending how much it is out. Mine was out alot so I had to use the bigger to still have something to screw to.

reefmutt223
02/02/2004, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah, I thought of the floor jacks but this will prove to be ALOT less work!!