PDA

View Full Version : need a venturi

inLOVEwitHEATHER
02/02/2004, 01:10 AM
need a cheap venturi.... some one said home depot carries them but i havent been able to find any? and any DIY self person show me where to get one really cheap??? thanks

dattack
02/02/2004, 01:21 AM
how big of a venturi and for what pump you using?

inLOVEwitHEATHER
02/02/2004, 04:29 PM
needs to fit on the intake side of a mag7... its for my nautilis skimmer....

dattack
02/02/2004, 04:43 PM
www.lifereef.com has some venturi for around $15.
I think www.thatpetplace.com has the kent venturi for around that price too.
Try www.aquaticeco.com

LPG
02/02/2004, 04:58 PM
I made one for my DIY skimmer. It seems to work fine for me although I can't compare it since this is the only skimmer I've ever had. I was looking for the link where I got the idea but I can't find it - so this idea isn't mine or new, but seems to work.

Anyway, it is on the return side of a mag7 (never played around with the intake side). It consists of the following:

2 3/4" threaded-slip PVC coupling
~4" piece of 3/4" PVC
1/4" acrylic disk with 1/4" hole? drilled in the center
1/4" airline barb

Take 1 coupling insert the disk on the slip side, glue the PVC piece into this coupling. Drill a hole into PVC piece near the disk to accept hose barb (it's on the downstream side of the disk). Attach second coupling and attach to skimmer/pump. Also attach some airline tubing to the barb.

I'm sure a commercial venturi beats this, but it seems to work fine. I had all of the pieces sitting around except the hose barb so it only cost me ~$0.50.

Steven

Cheapreef
02/02/2004, 05:42 PM
I just made a couple for my DIY skimmer, you can check them out in this thread if you want might work for you. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305697

Clinton

LPG
02/02/2004, 06:27 PM
Nice one cheapreef.