PDA

View Full Version : Dusk/Dawn effect with an AquaSpace Mini?

JG1
02/01/2004, 10:53 PM
Have an AquaSpace Mini with a DE 20k AB bulb. I really miss the softer light for dusk dawn though.

Has anyone with a similar fixture rigged up something on/in the fixture to provide a softer dusk/dawn actinic lighting?

ammiller2
02/01/2004, 10:58 PM
Yep... I got the PFO 32W x 2 PC retrofit from Premium Aquatics. This comes with 15" reflectors... I think. Regardless the 2 reflectors are just a bit smaller than the length of the Aquaspacelight Mini. Then I went to Home Depot and got some high heat epoxy and epoxied those reflectors right onto both sides of the Aquaspacelight Mini. It works perfect for me.

I use the "true" actinic PC bulbs, and they aren't very bright - you can barely tell when the MH lamp is on, but it gives you that dawn/dusk effect.

Hope this helps.

JG1
02/01/2004, 11:07 PM
Could you post a pic of your aquaspace with the PC's installed? I'd really like to see it if possible.

thanks!!!

JG1
02/02/2004, 08:47 AM
^

JG1
02/02/2004, 01:17 PM
^

JG1
02/02/2004, 05:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ammiller2
02/02/2004, 05:47 PM
JG1 - check your PM's... I'll send you a picture later tonight when the lights are off. No need to keep bumping this thread.

ammiller2
02/03/2004, 12:46 AM
Okay, so I'm too dumb to figure out how to put images into PM's... Here's the pic of my "modded" Aquaspacelight Mini. At first I was worried that it would decrease the resale value of the fixture when I get a bigger tank, but I think it's a pretty cool mod that people would like to have!! In fact, let's call this the ammiller2 Aquaspacelight Mini mod!! :rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Just remember to find some good high-heat epoxy when you attach the reflectors to your fixture. I think the stuff I used was rated to 350 degrees F.