PDA

View Full Version : why is my turboflotor overflowing?

deadtom
02/01/2004, 08:59 PM
I just put in a new turboflotor 1000 in my sump. I have a maxi jet 1200 sending the water to the skimmer in the sump from the main tank. the return is sent back to the tank with a mag drive 7.

I have just started it up and everything looks fine except the water is being pushed too high and overflowing into the collection cup and filling it in just a few seconds.

What could be causing this?

Salt Creep
02/01/2004, 10:23 PM
Check the outlet pipes. You have to make sure the valves are open, or you can even just remove the valves (they just slip into the T's of the pipes.

Ken

deadtom
02/01/2004, 10:53 PM
yeah, they are open all the way.

I can't figure out whats wrong. I have it in the recommended water level. (10-15 cm)
How high should the water level be in the base of the collection cup? Should you be able to see it bubbling?

Salt Creep
02/01/2004, 11:06 PM
Can you reduce the flow from the Maxijet? I use a lower flow on mine. The water level does reach just to the bottom of the cup.

deadtom
02/01/2004, 11:27 PM
oh ok
yeah the flow from the maxi jet is pretty high and very fast.

would it work better if instead of putting the maxi in the main tank sending water to the sump should I put the maxi in the sump and feed it with a syphon?

I saw your website and sump diagram and will try it that way.

Salt Creep
02/02/2004, 09:36 AM
I think it's better to have the maxi in the sump, just pulling water directly from the sump and sending it into the skimmer. That way, the water you're putting in has more of the stuff that sticks to the air/water interface since it's pulled down from your overflow.

deadtom
02/02/2004, 12:03 PM
oh ok

That makes more sense. I will get it set up today and let you know how it works this afternoon.