PDA

View Full Version : Percula clown host

koijoy
02/01/2004, 08:52 PM
I would like to know what types of corals if any that the Percula clown will host in.

I don't want to try an anemone due to their low survival rate.

Koijoy

kiraroberson
02/01/2004, 09:25 PM
Our percs originally fell in love with a big patch of hair algae that popped up during an algae bloom. Once the bloom decreased, they moved into our torch coral. The torch seems to take it well, but I've heard others have had trouble with it.

saltwater-nut
02/01/2004, 10:04 PM
koijoy,

Some Anemones are very hardy!! More so than most corals. RBTA are nearly impossible to kill.
One of our RBTA just split. The poor clowns dont know which half they like best. lol
Email me and I'll link you to some pics.
Roy

koijoy
02/03/2004, 01:10 PM
kiraroberson,
I am interested in the torch coral as a host. I was thinking about getting one of those just for that purpose. Do your percs stay in the coral most of the time? Right now mine are just swimming all around the tank with no place to call their own. I think they would be happier with a home.

saltwater-nut,
I would also be willing to consider giving the RBTA a try.
Do RBTA host percula clowns?
Do they seem to stay where you put them or do they wonder around the tank until they find a suitable position? And if they move around, would any corals they come into contact with be in danger? It is my understanding that they need to be fed.
Also would my lighting be suitable?
I have a 180 gal 6'x2'x2' tank with (3) 175MH and (2) 96w power compacts.

kiraroberson
02/03/2004, 01:18 PM
The female of the pair is much more attached to the torch; she stays there most of the time. The male has a touch of wanderlust so he roams about much more. Still, it's clearly his home too. Our clowns have always had a home of some sort. Believe it or not, before the algae patch, they used the heater as a home. The nice thing was that when we introduced the torch, the clowns were still living in the algae patch. The torch was able to acclimate to the tank without the additional stress of the fish living in it.

Reddog
02/03/2004, 01:20 PM
koijoy,

I have had much more success keeping a BTA than a torch coral. Just my opinion. I've had the anemone below since ~ '94.:)

http://www.msnusers.com/agmvfklg68opggg2nbpo0sn636/files/Pictures%2FDSC00303.JPG

saltwater-nut
02/03/2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by koijoy
kiraroberson,
I am interested in the torch coral as a host. I was thinking about getting one of those just for that purpose. Do your percs stay in the coral most of the time? Right now mine are just swimming all around the tank with no place to call their own. I think they would be happier with a home.

saltwater-nut,
I would also be willing to consider giving the RBTA a try.
Do RBTA host percula clowns?
Do they seem to stay where you put them or do they wonder around the tank until they find a suitable position? And if they move around, would any corals they come into contact with be in danger? It is my understanding that they need to be fed.
Also would my lighting be suitable?
I have a 180 gal 6'x2'x2' tank with (3) 175MH and (2) 96w power compacts.

If you look at the site I sent you a link to, True and Occelaris Clowns host Rose Bubble Tip Anemones.
My RBTA have always stayed put. I put coral colonies all around the RBTA w/o any problems. I fed ours once when I first bought them. When I feed the fish and corals I always see them closing up as they catch food.
Perfect lighting for Anemones!
Roy

saltwater-nut
02/03/2004, 01:33 PM
pic of Clowns hosting a RBTA.

CaptainK
02/03/2004, 01:40 PM
Hi koijoy,
My Clowns have taken a liking to my Green Open Brain coral.
Here is a little picture:

Myka
02/28/2004, 01:55 PM
I had a pair of clowns (unknown sex, and can't remember whether they were fakes or trues) that hosted some mushrooms.

Mindy

adiver
02/28/2004, 03:10 PM
My two hang out in a toad stool leather

junster
02/28/2004, 05:19 PM
clown on a plate...

bentrue
02/28/2004, 05:26 PM
mine hosts in a HUGE colt coral.

cone9
02/28/2004, 11:48 PM
Mine hosts in my Sarco...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/521/2456perchost02.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/521/2456perchost01.jpg

...but sometimes gets a bit frustrated when the doors are all locked and he can find his keys.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/521/2456perchost03a.jpg