PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switching salt becasue of what Instat Ocean did?

yellowtruck75
02/01/2004, 05:39 PM
Is anyone else switching salt brands becasue Instant Ocean decided to cut their size down from a 200 gallon mix to a 160 gallon mix and not change the price at all?

The Shaman
02/01/2004, 05:59 PM
Nope.

BTW, has anyone seen any of these new buckets in any of their LFS's yet?

ricka
02/01/2004, 06:01 PM
No, but I just switched from NSW to Tropic Marin instead of IO.

I read about the KH nightmare and then the "price increase" shortly thereafter. I figure the price difference is now next to nill, why not use better salt. (I get TM locally for $49 per 200G bucket).

SALTFISHDUDE
02/01/2004, 06:01 PM
yeah...i have! They are really cool because they are a twist-off cap with a child-resistant lock so kids cant get in it and it keeps your salt fresh, fresh, fresh!!!

SALTFISHDUDE
02/01/2004, 06:02 PM
I LUV INSTANT OCEAN!!

ri
02/01/2004, 06:48 PM
Still not sure as I have 3 unopened 200 gallon buckets from the PetSmart No Cost Shipping specials. However, the new oceaniac salt is looking very interesting.

ri

yellowtruck75
02/01/2004, 06:52 PM
Is PetSmart still running the free shipping offer? and is it only with Instant Ocean or all salts?

yellowtruck75
02/01/2004, 06:53 PM
I got a bucket of Redsea, does anyone have any experience with it?

Thales
02/01/2004, 06:59 PM
Last I heard, the price was going to be less than the 200 gallon.

MattG
02/01/2004, 07:28 PM
my lfs has the newer buckets. my lfs is charging 10$ less then the 200 gallon buckets were for the newer 160 gallon buckets. i still dont like the change. i could care less about a new style bucket. what are the choices though besides IO?? for now i will continue with IO.

However, the new oceaniac salt is looking very interesting.
i second that

Is PetSmart still running the free shipping offer? and is it only with Instant Ocean or all salts?
no they arent running the free shipping offer.

lacie143
02/01/2004, 07:46 PM
I've am trying oceanic out. I really like the jug storage and ORA seems to love the salt. Its a little expensive though.

gcvt
02/01/2004, 08:05 PM
I'll stick with IO - it's been good to me. Haven't seen if my LFS will carry the new buckets at a lower price, but I'll buy it anyway.

John Brancheau
02/01/2004, 08:14 PM
Been using Reef Crystals for years, I do not like the fact that they have changed the buckets either, but given the choice, I guess I will continue to buy the buckets.

I have read way too many posts about changing salt mixes, that ended up in disaster.

gcvt
02/01/2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by John Brancheau
I have read way too many posts about changing salt mixes, that ended up in disaster.

Exactly! A few dollars either way doesn't matter as much to me as the stability of (and consistency with) my tank. Now if IO changed their salt formula, that'd be a different story.

znut Reefer
02/01/2004, 08:48 PM
I have been using IO for 13 yrs. so I'll just stick with it.

AcroSteve
02/01/2004, 08:49 PM
I thought they did change it. Something about quicker disolving.

SALTFISHDUDE
02/01/2004, 08:58 PM
Yes....they did change it to dissolve faster but that's all. My friend changed salts without any problems but did it little by little by mixing half IO and half Oceanic in his waterchanges and less IO each time he changed his water. In a little while, he was useing all Oceanic!!! :)

deadtom
02/01/2004, 09:09 PM
i use red sea and like it

eoffrey
02/01/2004, 11:55 PM
Don't mean to jump in right smack in the middle of this BUT.....

I would suggest you try and use Catalina Real Ocean Water...available from Petcos...although it usually has to be special ordered.

I've been using it for about 1-2 months now....so my tank has been fully switched over to this. Has been great......all elements at perfect levels....Ph perfect.......salinity has to be lowered in my case, but this product rocks!!!!!!

If nothing else, see if you can get it and try it out. It's 10 bucks for 5 gallons.....but chock full of everything you and your tanks want/need. It's worth the money to me!

Although, prior to switiching over to Catalina Real Ocean Water....I did in fact use IO.

Racenrich
02/02/2004, 12:07 AM
$10 bucks for 5 gallons? I'd go broke!

i'll stick to my Instant Ocean!

ROCCO the pump dont work!!!

K9
02/02/2004, 12:17 AM
I've had no problems with IO. I have a 10g tank, so I just bought the bag that makes 50g for $18 at my LFS. I figure a 10% water change each week means this bag will last me about a year. Nano's do have their advantages!

AReeferIsExpensive
02/02/2004, 12:26 AM
Hummmm.......Ive heard of people using that real ocean water and having really bad hair algae breakouts... the whole "real ocean water" thing sounded neat until i read that. Enough to keep me w/ IO~ plus the trouble of going through switching....=/

eoffrey
02/02/2004, 12:36 AM
Areeferisexpensive.........well there's no problem with the hair algae in my tank.......which is also suited with a clean up crew that would eat it anyhow......seems to be fine for me....my new coral seems to be thriving and my fishes are very well. As is all of the livestock in my tank from rock, to sand to algae and macroalgae.........

I think this stuff is great...........and if you ran a UVS on ur tank.....you wouldn't be too concerned about the hairalgae break out if you ever wanted to switch over. Just some food for thought. I like the stuff, just wanted to share with everyone.

RICH.....everything I buy for my tank makes me broke!!!!!!! Why not the water!!!!!!!!!!!

K9Decoy......you're right, that is an advantage for you. maybe more if you choose to get a couple of boxes of the real ocean water too. Better off for your corals if you ask me.....especially in such a small closed system.