PDA

View Full Version : Place vote here for your quiet pump (if listed)!

PaSReef1
02/01/2004, 05:22 PM
Please vote for the quietest pump here and post comparisons you have made by having used each pump...

I will have a list of some of the ones Im familiar with, you are free to post some that you have tried yet are not on the list.

Please vote and tell us why you think yours outperforms another and why....Im especially interested in Sound Quality but other categories are also important... flow, performance...durablily, cust service etc etc.. but for now just sound characteristics.

Thanks

wetworx101
02/02/2004, 02:50 AM
I have three mags running right now. The 1200, 1800, and 500. POSs to me. The 1200 is the oldest and has had it's impeller replaced twice. I run it in a pond (with prefilters) and I can hear it rattle underwater still (3000gallons!). I tolerate the rest only because they are in the basement and dont need to be quiet. I have over a dozen eheim pumps/filters, including multiple hobby pumps...the 1252(315gph), 1260(600gph), 1262(900gph), 1264 (1100gph)...all of them are dead silent. So silent I used to run one next to my bed and I could actually hear the 'swoosh' of water going through it over the hum of the pump! The same pump, a 1252, has been running non-stop for over 12 years...okay, okay, I have stopped it a couple times to clean out the impeller chamber...otherwise...12years, and still not even a hum.

melev
02/02/2004, 02:57 AM
Actually, Rio pumps are made by Taam. Dolphin pumps include the Ampmaster 3000 many reefers use.

I'm a huge fan of Mag pumps, and have 5 in use 24 hours a day on 3 tanks. If I had noise issues with them, I wouldn't use 'em.

PaSReef1
02/02/2004, 03:07 AM
http://www.dolphinpumps.com/pond___tank_master_series_submersible_or_in_line_pumps.htm

'For those of you familiar with "Sen" or "Sedra" aqua pumps, be assured that DP Series pumps are not similar except for external mold similarities. Dolphin has a partnership with the same factory that produced the "Sen & Sedra" pumps for the North American market. We have an exclusive partnership with our South Korean friends in which changes in Impeller design, wattage, performance, and product quality were made over the older designs that were sold under the Sen & Sedra product names. Specific changes included: Titanium shafts instead of steel shafts or the thinner ceramic shafts, Heat treated magnet coating that resists scratching and release of magnet fragments, Larger impellers for higher flow & pressure, More energy efficient motors that produce less heat. '

MMM youre right about RIO and Dolphin.. I was thinking it was RIO but it is actually SEDRA; even after reading this page again im not sure what dolphin is saying about the Sedras being similiar in design but the impellers are diff with our pumps... sounds like they are both made by same mnfg... im assuming Sedra is still available?

PaSReef1
02/02/2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by wetworx101
I have three mags running right now. The 1200, 1800, and 500. POSs to me. The 1200 is the oldest and has had it's impeller replaced twice. I run it in a pond (with prefilters) and I can hear it rattle underwater still (3000gallons!). I tolerate the rest only because they are in the basement and dont need to be quiet. I have over a dozen eheim pumps/filters, including multiple hobby pumps...the 1252(315gph), 1260(600gph), 1262(900gph), 1264 (1100gph)...all of them are dead silent. So silent I used to run one next to my bed and I could actually hear the 'swoosh' of water going through it over the hum of the pump! The same pump, a 1252, has been running non-stop for over 12 years...okay, okay, I have stopped it a couple times to clean out the impeller chamber...otherwise...12years, and still not even a hum.

Thats interesting I think you posted something similar in an earlier post I made... I would like to try one of those pumps.. I have a current cannister on my nano by Eheim that is EXTREMELY silent small but silent.. Built and designed better than any other i have owned...

I might try one if my dolphins drive me crazy and also if the cant push a mazzei... please post a link to the hobby eheims

Thanks

melev
02/02/2004, 03:10 AM
Surely it is, since Euroreef uses that pump for their skimmers.

PaSReef1
02/02/2004, 03:22 AM
funny im finding the eheim pumps on COMPUTER water cooling sites ahhaha

will pick one up for the 600 GPH

PaSReef1
02/02/2004, 03:35 AM
mmm heres the eheim page...

http://www.eheim.com/

" I have over a dozen eheim pumps/filters, including multiple hobby pumps...the 1252(315gph), 1260(600gph), 1262(900gph), 1264 (1100gph)..."

look at that output for the 1250!!! 7,315 GPH! all for 69.95$ ?ahaha :) must be a typo...

Whats the difference between a "hobby pump" and the regular ones i see on the eheim site... wonder why dont they list these higher end GPH models on their site?

They look pricey but I bet that silence is worthit!

Cheapreef
02/02/2004, 12:05 PM
I agree with melev, the 2 mags i have running (mag7's) 24/7 make no noise at all.

Clinton

Dman
02/02/2004, 03:33 PM
easily the quietest pump I've owned would be the Eheims. Next would be the quiet one line of pumps.
At the other end of the scale, the loudest most obnoxious pump I own is my 1/2 HP Iwaki. Even in the basement, I can hear it on the second floor and at night it's even worse. but it has run continuosly for three years (minus two blackouts and three annual cleanings)
Dman

willra
02/02/2004, 07:13 PM
My mag 5 vibrates on the bottom of my glass sump and it kinda annoys me sometimes.

kgross
02/02/2004, 10:09 PM
For smaller quite pumps the eheims are the best, for larger pumps sequence and Dolphin are about the quitest pumps.

Kim

steve68
02/02/2004, 11:05 PM
my mag 9.5 made some noise but my mag 18 was loud compare to my Squence pump

srfndoc
02/02/2004, 11:27 PM
Two mag18's in a 30gal sump and the fans in my canopy are louder.

melev
02/03/2004, 12:36 AM
You can put a small piece of foam padding beneath a pump if the vibration becomes an issue. They sell various thicknesses at any LFS for filteration and these would be safe to use in saltwater.

wetworx101
02/03/2004, 01:08 AM
Oh GOD are you people nuts? All you people who are voting for a mag must have little to compare to, sorry, because if you ever had an eheim you would know they are the quietest thing around. I suppose their higher price drove many to the 1/2 price mag-drives...but just cuz you think Prego tasted good...doesnt make it the best of pasta sauces if it's all youve had. Just look at all the people who said they have noise making mags...vs how many have eheims that even make a peep. Im sure a few of you have been lucky with the mags...or have enough other equipment to drown out the pump anyways...but that doesnt mean you should go voting for it. Supreme, since as far back as I remember...the aquaking, the ovation line, etc. has been splotchy with it's QC...thats all I can conclude. They may make 100 that just happen to be made well enough to be silent for a few years...and a few hundred where someone fell asleep at the line and they rattle after a few months. A better poll would be to make two questions..."How would you rate your eheim on a scale of 1-10 for noise" and another "How would you rate your mag drive on a scale of 1-10 for noise"...do the math and I bet your eheims would average out to a 9 or 10, and your mags would end up as a 5. Sorry, but this poll isnt giving a response anywhere near accurate. The mags are just cheaper, so more people use them, and think they are okay, and end up voting for them. I really wonder how many of them actually have had an eheim. Not that I am an eheim freak. A close second, and if you need a larger pump...dolphin (not the RIOs however...they are worse than mags)

srfndoc
02/03/2004, 01:20 AM
I don't have any eheim pumps to compare the mag18's to but I did have a rio 2500 and a CA3000 and both were quite a bit louder than the mag18's. Standing next my tank with the stand doors closed I can barely hear anything other than the canopy fans.

I have seen others say their mag's were noisy so it may be hit or miss. I do have both of my pumps plumbed with vinyl tubing instead of hard PVC which I'm sure contributes to their noise (or lack of).

YMMV

djfrankie
02/03/2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by wetworx101
Oh GOD are you people nuts? All you people who are voting for a mag must have little to compare to, sorry, because if you ever had an eheim you would know they are the quietest thing around.

I have to agree..
Eheim's reliability and quietness cannot be beat in the smaller pump segment. Now on the bigger side having tried Iwakis, Sequence and Dolphins, I would vote for the Dolphin (Ampmaster) if it was listed.

Just my 1/2 Cent.

djfrankie

PaSReef1
02/03/2004, 05:27 AM
Welp I have to say I MUST try an Eheim...hobby pump.. I dont know what cetrifugal pump is... be interested to see the technology behind it.. I will be getting a good one soon.

If I had to go with my gut I think the Eheim wins out... Ive never hear anyone complain about the sound of them as with EVERY other pump out there.... Some people complain about every type of pump volume BUT the Eheim. That says a lot..

So for what its worth I think my vote goes for Eheim at least for now and until i test a Mag as well. I cant be sure... just a feeling..

Another important factor is price and of course reliablity and customer service... What good is a quiet pump that breaks down and you cant get a human to help you with it or worse... cant get parts for.. Not to say that is the case with Eheim at all.. just a fact...with ANY product.

Dk Coral
02/03/2004, 10:02 AM
I have a Deltec 5250 return pump on my sump - its more than dead silent. You cant hear it with the human ear :o)

Lt Hudson USMC
02/13/2004, 02:18 PM
For the price it should be silent! SGD$1,130.00 Thats a lot a krone!

bshumake
02/13/2004, 04:57 PM
I have a Velocity T4 that pumps about 1200GPH as a return pump. It was listed as creating 30 decibels when running. I had no idea how quiet 30 dbl was untill i plugged it in. I have to touch it to make sure that its running (aside from the water that is). It makes no noise at all.

Icepic
02/13/2004, 05:05 PM
i been using some danner mag 5 little hum not much

i have a little giant 5mdsc and it have some hum too it the cabinet doors are open , but caint here it if they are closed ..

i just got in a new little giant pump

and trust me it is one bad mama jama.
its a little giant te-7
it can pump 1260 gallons an hour at 50 feet of head

and i have no idea how loud this baby will be
since i just got it yesterday

DukeDog
02/13/2004, 05:16 PM
My vote is for the Eheim pumps . I have one on my ca reactor and it is totally silent no heat transfer and doesn't leak. These are 3 things I cant say about mags. I had a mag7 and mag 2 leak . And I have a mag18 that puts out so much heat when used it in sump that I couldn't use it. Just my experiences
Jeff