PDA

View Full Version : what skimmer should i get?

bergzy
02/01/2004, 05:08 PM
okay,

yeah, i am a little bored and going to decide what skimmer to get. there are so many choices out there and, of course, we want the best for the dollar!

Looper121
02/01/2004, 05:16 PM
Aren't two of those the same? Well ETSS, anyway...

speedstar
02/01/2004, 05:24 PM
MRC

myreefcreations

ri
02/01/2004, 07:18 PM
Another vote for My Reef Creations.

ri

thetedinator
02/01/2004, 07:19 PM
ASM

BryanJ
02/02/2004, 01:18 AM
A good refugium is better IMO. I am going skimmerless at Christmas this year and adding a HOB Fuge

MDKyleZ
02/02/2004, 01:52 AM
ASM G Series is IMO the best for the money.

Kyle

bergzy
02/02/2004, 01:57 AM
bryanj,

yeah, i love my fuge/algae filter and totally believe that a reef tank should not be without one. if i had to choose between a fuge/algae filter or skimmer...i would choose the fuge/algae filter without blinking. this just means that i just have to do a water change every month instead of every two months

it's just that i hear funny noises from the skimmer pump and know it is going to die soon. the skimmer and pump are second hand and does a good job. i feel that i might as well get a good new or used skimmer. i only skim part time to remove whatever hydrophobic components that i don't think that macro can. when i go on vacations, i just turn the skimmer off.

i hate buying equipment because i'd rather spend the money on corals, clams and dinner. it also seems that the more equipment i have...the more trouble it is to maintain. i've been the equipment junkie before. no more...thank you! nowadays, i try to have as little equipment as possible.

i remember reading an article when rolex decided to make their own chronograph movement for their coveted 'daytona' watch. it went something like...'it is very easy to make things complicated (watch movements) but it takes thought and planning to keep things simple'. not very many production watches can sell for almost double their suggested retail value, the rolex daytona with its in-house movement is one of them.

:)

BryanJ
02/02/2004, 02:05 AM
bergzy

My tank is bare bottom also, so I am really interested in what happens when I switch to no skimmer and just use the HOB fuge. I will be using the miracle mud and i have not decided on the macro algae yet. If it works well my next tank will not be drilled if it does only ok then it will be reef ready and my 55 will be a fuge instead of a predator tank.

bergzy
02/02/2004, 02:18 AM
okay,

hope i don't flamed...

here is a link about miracle mud...

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/mm_analysis.html

on my fuge, i have 3 inches of fine sand with no lr or rubble. the macro i use is chaeto because it grows like there is no tomorrow and hasn't gone sexual on me. i had caulerpa in there but it was always on my mind what would happen. i don't need that worry so i just took out all the caulerpa. let me know when you want some and i will send you a bunch in a zip lock. no worries.

from advice from fellow rc'ers, i slowly weeded my tank off from full time skimming to part-time. i am happy with part-time skimming and want my next skimmer to last a very, very long time.

if i had the room and a spare 55g, i would make that baby a fuge in a flash! well, a rubbermaid container would do the same thing too! :)

BryanJ
02/02/2004, 02:45 AM
Don't worry about flames here. Iron helps macro algae grow. The aluminum concentration and arsenic makes me more leary then anything else. I notice Inland reef is still selling it so what was the point of the link? Not looking to fight just want your personal opinion on the Mud.

bergzy
02/02/2004, 03:10 AM
i thought about getting the mud but, maybe i am cynical, anytime i see the word 'miracle'. i like to ask those in the know, research and ponder.

i am now trying to restrain my posts and comments because i seemed to have upset a few people in the past. it is not edifying and really is not that constructive.

the reason i linked the miracle mud is that, even though i haven't used it, it seems like from the analysis conclusions that it is no more than regular sand.

it is strange times we live in here in the united states where people and companies sue for the stupiest things like...florida orange juice growers are thinking about suing the south beach diet writer because their sales are down. give me a break.

keep me updated on your fuge progress. as they say, 'once you fuge all other ways, you refuge'. ouch, that was bad but hey, it's late and i just made that up! :D

cheers!

BryanJ
02/02/2004, 03:31 AM
I use the Ecosystems reef solution and I see the benefits it provides so I can say I like one of their products. They say if you use the mud you don't need the soloution so that is why I am going to use it. If it works great, if it does not work then I switch substrates and buy the solution again no big deal.

I upset alot of people in the past too. When in doubt PM the person, thats my motto.

bulldog12
02/02/2004, 03:41 AM
I think you probably already knew the answer to this question..

EURO REEF!!!!

Tat2dBrownDude
02/02/2004, 03:58 AM
piccolo, skilter, visi-jet, air lift

or you can get a My Reef Creations =)