PDA

View Full Version : Noisy sump pump? questions and need some voting!

PaSReef1
02/01/2004, 04:14 PM
I got a dolphin 650 Pump last night and it seems pretty loud in operation some noticable hum even when supported by foam...underneat the temp sump and the pump itself.. Seems to crank out the water pretty good and I got a good price (41$) for it... Since Im a newbie I have nothing to compare its operation to or its performance...

But thats how it is, Soooo Im turning to my fellow reefers to clue me in on different pumps and quietness! I have read the dolphin is a loud pump but i took the plunge anyway.... I think I would agree.

When I attached PVC right to the pump I got some serious vibrations right up the PVC... all the way into the tank...Is this a common problem when hooking up smallish submersible pumps directly to PVC or is the Dolphin just a noisy critter?

I was able to dampen the vibration a bit by attaching clear hose to the pump housing...then going up to the tank with PVC... Im a bit concerned tho that clear will grow algae in the sump since my REF will have adequate light....

So I want some voting and feedback on a submersible pump that is powerful small quiet and reliable... I might stick with the dolpins If i can dimish the sound...esp if most other pumps (mags) sound about the same..

I know you can get the inline iwaki type and others for 100$ + but im talking submersibles here for smaller tanks under say 60$ that can handle around 100GAL..

Please vote and give feedback on your pumps and if you have swapped out a newer dolphin for another and it was MUCH quieter please let me know too!

thanks