PDA

View Full Version : My Sump Plans...Whatcha think?

jetstorm
02/01/2004, 03:28 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eamoro/sumpplans.JPG

I have a 30gal dispay tank and a 30gal sump. I will be placing the sump in my basement. There will be 8' vertical drop and 3' horizontal to the sump. I will be probably be using 1' pvc.

I won my company football pool so I have some $$ to play with.

Equipment list

Return pump --- Mag9.5 (need it)
Overflow ----- Lifereef (need it)
Skimmer ------- Prizm :D (for now)

Any comments?......good or bad?

whaase
02/01/2004, 08:36 PM
I'd get ALOT bigger pump. With that kind of head it will be a slow trickle (if it gets back up). Maybe a Mak4?

Walter

captainken
02/01/2004, 08:43 PM
make the sump as big as possible. even make the pump in the middle bigger than normal. you can always turn it down with a valve. or use a closed loop.

whaase
02/01/2004, 09:17 PM
I would also consider drilling the tank rather than a overflow. I'm kicking myself for not drilling my tank.

Walter

captainken
02/01/2004, 09:39 PM
yeh drilling would be nice or get a tank that is already reef ready.
but, if you dont i would recommend the lifereef overflow . the best and will not fail you.. I know from a power failure and water all over the floor

adamjr
02/02/2004, 01:06 AM
Overall the design seems sufficient. I would agree with whaase that you need a bigger pump. I mix my saltwater in my basement and pump it up to the display tank from there with a mag 12. It is also 8 foot of head with no horizontal movement and it takes about 5 minutes to empty out a 30 gallon trash can. Mag is a great pump for low head but leave something to be desired, imho, for higher heads.

Adam

melev
02/02/2004, 03:19 AM
Well, according to this chart, a Mag 9.5 is perfect for his needs. After all, it is going to a 30g! Even if he could attain 600gph, I doubt the tank will drain fast enough.

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ph_danner.asp

jetstorm
02/02/2004, 06:45 AM
Thnaks for the replies,

Like Melev said, the Mag9.5 should give me enough flow. Unless, the chart is a little overly ambitous.

According to the headloss calc, I should have 486gph with a mag9. I guess the deciding factor would be the gph of the overflow.

What kind of flow will I get out of the lifereef overflow? If it is too high, can I put a ball valve in to slow it down?