PDA

View Full Version : Straighten SPa flex Instantly?

PaSReef1
02/01/2004, 03:07 PM
I got some 1.25 OD Spa flex from HD since other recommended it for keeping the bulkhead return drain to sump quiet, and had the same problem others have had in here... The stuff tends to like to stay in its colied position.. H2o Eng recommended heating it with his famous glue gun (which I was going to do and may still do to make a slight bend)

Then I had the idea (maybe some one else did too...) to shove the PVC all the way through it wich you can do with some effort...just wet the outside of the pipe and insert.
IT straightend right up! And you can use the remainder of the pipe to adhear to your 1" Bulkhead....:)

I think I might actually leave the PVC in there for even quieter operation, granted I would loose some minute Interior diameter.. of the pipe, but hey its straight. I think the ideal is to have a minor sweep near the sump entrance, you could leave a foot or so in the coiled position to pull this off, (leave PVC OUT)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913half_straightened_SPA_flex_Using_PVC.jpghttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913full_straightened_SPA_flex_Using_PVC.jpg

ddenham
02/01/2004, 03:37 PM
why not use standard pvc pipe for the straight runs and spa flex for the wide sweeps? just glue a coupling to connect the flex stuff to the pipe.

PaSReef1
02/01/2004, 03:44 PM
mmmm

PaSReef1
02/01/2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ddenham
why not use standard pvc pipe for the straight runs and spa flex for the wide sweeps? just glue a coupling to connect the flex stuff to the pipe.

Yes that would work too i guess.....Main reason not to use plastic pipe on its own would be Noise.. I guess... Since the overlfow returns using Standpipes (CJS, Durso, SM TG) add air as they siphon making it noisy....going down any type of drain straight or not.... the spa flex has to be quieter (i think) :)

Tho PVC for the straight sections might be pretty quiet going straight down using your idea of PVC for straight and SF for the sweeps... with water and air inside the PVC only... not sure......

ONly downside to my method of inserting the PVC into the SPA F is losing ID of the spaflex, wich is what you do using PVC alone anyway so not so bad, but in our applications we're probably not using half the capabilities of the flex anway its use is good to DAMPEN SOUND...

But I would agree yes just using it for sweeps alone is a good idea too IF it is as quiet as spa flex...? And that is a BIG IF since im not sure it is AS QUIET, my gut tells me its NOT maybe you know.. One thing is for sure its cheaper too! I will do some tests and see :)

tedu
02/03/2004, 12:22 AM
I've had good luck so far by heating the spa flex up slightly.

Used an oven set to 200, just put it in there for a minute or so, then reshaped it to the desired shape.

Ted

MarkS
02/03/2004, 01:28 AM
If you're keeping the ridged PVC in the Spa Flex, then you are going to lose the sound dampening properties. Ridged Spa Flex will transmit sound as well as ridged PVC.