PDA

View Full Version : LFS in Greenville SC Area

John McCuiston
07/30/2001, 09:02 AM
I will be traveling to Greenville SC for work next week and was hoping some of you may know of a good Reef store in the local area.

I will be in town all week with nothing to do each evening except check out the local reef stores.

Any suggestions??

John McCuiston

Bradley
07/30/2001, 09:31 AM
Petland and World of Pets are close together and would be the ones I would recommend the most. Petland doesn't have a lot to choose from but the owner is a good guy. The problem is that he staff has no knowledge as to what they are selling.

World of pets has lots to choose from but the conditions are disgraceful.

Carolina Pet Center is hit or miss. Sometime they have some things sometime they don't. You can always count on prices that are a tad out of line.

I know I sound down on these stores but they are worth the visit. Just don' expect any bargins or rare finds.

P.S. :

If you are going to visit these stores let me know. I would like to meet you and get some sand.

psu77
07/30/2001, 11:23 AM
Bradley:

You are not being negative. It is sad to say but the quality of the stores in this area is lacking.

I recently spoke with the manager of Carolina Pet's fish dept. She at least does a 50% water change weekly. The fish do look healthy.

World of Pets started out great but went downhill quickly. Same with Petland.

I usually purchase my livestock as well as dry goods from online or out of town.

Don

John McCuiston
07/30/2001, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys,

It is sad that most of the employees in local stores I have been in lack both knowledge and/or desire to learn. Most of the employees are min wage workers that are there to make their rent money and really don't put in a lot of effort to learn the business. Tis sad but true of many retail shops of all kinds. Hiring good help cost more than the shop can afford week to week and hiring min wage help cost the business more than they can afford in the long run.

My wife and I were in Pa. at That Fish Place and the stock looked really sad. My wife's comment was " Looks like their going out of business". If they weren't they will be soon unless they do better. I do understand how difficult competing in this industry is but it seems like VERY FEW salt water shop survive very long. They all start off great but go down quickly.

John