PDA

View Full Version : alk/sps/reactors

Flatlander
02/01/2004, 02:15 PM
Regarding the thread in the sps forum and the lowering of alk. levels.

I asked there and now try here. How does one get a rector to produce only an alk. level of around 8dkh.

I am trying to bring mine down, first from the 30dkh level of the new salt, :rolleyes:.

My reactors have always produced around 25-30dkh, which keeps the tanks at 12dkh. I have it backed down now to 20dkh, but I assume thats still to high and would keep the tank at 12dkh.

I have increased the bubble count versus the effluent output, to increase the calcium and decrease alk. Working so far but not enough. I cant slow my effluent drip down much more.

Flatlander
02/02/2004, 10:03 AM
:)

Bomber
02/05/2004, 11:26 AM
Doug, I would shut it off. :)

I use baking soda and calcium chloride. That way I can make it anything I want. ;)

Flatlander
02/05/2004, 01:06 PM
Already have Jerel. Thanks

Jayhox
02/17/2004, 01:40 PM
Bomber, can you give me your thoughts on calc reactors? If I recall, you do not use one. Do you maintian most levels with water changes, or adding calc supplements and buffers? Thanks!

JB NY
02/17/2004, 02:16 PM
Maybe try shutting it down for a few hours a day? I know it's tough to get low alk when using a reactor. I've always used a rule of thumb of effluent alk 3x what you want the tank alk to be. I've been pretty good with that ratio.

It's hard if you have a ton of SPS corals though

Aged Salt
02/17/2004, 07:32 PM
Doug, try running your KW drip faster--it will drive down your alk,Bob

Mimbler1
02/17/2004, 08:49 PM
Jerel, knowing your profession I know you run successful long term tanks. What is your water change regimen to deal with the increasing sodium chloride content of your tank water when adding baking soda and calcium chloride for ca/alk supplementation? I currently use bionic to avoid the build-up, but your approach would certainly be a lot cheaper!
thanks, Mike

Flatlander
02/18/2004, 10:34 AM
Bob, I assume you mean not more kalk, but add the amount I currently do, but at a faster rate?

Joe, I suppose a part time regiment may work. So many things to turn off and then back on though :D

Still not running on my new sps tank. Kalk is maintaining the calcium @ 380ppm. Finally have the alk down to 10dkh

Aged Salt
02/18/2004, 01:21 PM
Hi Doug, yes if you can stand to increase in water vol--think of it as if you hand-poured KW into the system--the Alk. will decrease--obviously monitor closely until it's depressed to arounf 8.5-9 dKH--that's where I have been keeping it over the past 7mos. I began lowering for the reason of Acro's RTNing for no obvious reason. So far, I've stop one RTN stone-cold & have not experienced any further episodes.......but ck. with me tomorrow:D Bob