PDA

View Full Version : Make Sure To Plan Ahead With "Cycling" Fish

mwm6
02/01/2004, 02:16 AM
Thought I'd ring in with some thoughts for new Reefers and others.

I sold my 180 reef about 7 months ago, still very depressed about that (I'll share story in a minute). Anyway I set up a small 38 reef back in October. I used a Clarkii clown to get things going. Never had any ammonia spikes anyway as I used cured LR and seeded sand.

Anyway, so I gradually added a few fish over the past 2 months - (2) firefish, algae blenny and a 6-line wrasse. Well, let me tell you - Mr clown was the owner of this small tank. He had one firefish jump out and the wrasse presently doesn't have a tail.

So, I waited until lights out and caught him, bagged him and sent to LFS. (That's an awesome way to catch fish if you didn't know - just shine flashlight in eyes after a few hours of darkness and they are stunned).

Anyway, for the rest of you small tank owners just beginning, don't pull this trick like me and forget that the clowns are very territorial, unless that's all you plan to keep.

I've been reefing since 1988. Started with a 55, then 90, then 180. So, about 2 yrs ago, I bought my boys motocross motorcycles - along with me. Well, it was difficult keeping up financially with 3 bikes and reef. So, I decided to sell reef and enjoy the time with the kids Sold reef in June 03. Well, (1) month later, I broke my leg on bike. Wife asked me to ditch bikes and I ended up with nothing........So, here I am starting all over with a 38. Hey, I'm still reefing and lovin it - even though going from a 180 to a 38.