PDA

View Full Version : blue legs??

hurleycr
02/01/2004, 02:12 AM
I have a hundred of so dwarf blue leg hermits in my tank. The past couple of nights I have observed them crawling all over each other. Its not just a small group of them, I have like 7 groups of them of three of more. They kinda crawl on the back of the shell and then move backward, untill one falls off. Then they just remount and start again. It's like one, then one on top of that one, and then one on top of that one. Its hard to explain, does anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong. All water perm. are fine. except the calcium is a little low (300ppm), and I'm dripping kalk to take care of that.

any help out there??

thanks.

JNG567
02/01/2004, 02:17 AM
nothing wrong, I see hermits do this often, what size tank do you have, do you have snails???? blue legs are the most prone to eat snails from my understanding

hurleycr
02/01/2004, 02:32 AM
75g...

yes I have snails, and yes they do eat snails. I have only seen them eat the astrea's though. They leave my turbo's alone, so I quit getting the astrea's, and only have the turbo's. I wasn't aware of them eating snails untill I saw one night that I had 10 empty shells in my tank. But since then I added a lot of live rock, and the algae keeps them pretty busy and full. So I think that is why they don't mess with the turbo's.

Have you ever heard of blue leggs messing with cucumbers, because i'm thinking of buying a sand sifter?

hurleycr
02/01/2004, 02:37 AM
has anyone ever seen these things mate, do they mate in an aquarium?

Do they lay eggs or what... any kind of info.

Where does everyone get their research on different critters. I've tried so many different internet sites and needless to say most of them come up short on the usefullness end. For example: I know that blue legs are blue and that they eat algae. Which is basically the kind of info you get for everything. Does anyone know where I can get good, reliable info.