PDA

View Full Version : Where to find large acrylic tubing?

SHARKSRME
02/01/2004, 01:25 AM
Please help me out. Im looking for a company that sells acrylic tubing in the 8-12 inch diameter range to make a bio-ball tower or 2. I've looked at many of the DIY pages and have been unable to find anything larger than 6 inch diameter. Thanks again

Acrylics
02/01/2004, 02:09 AM
Look up either GEPolymershapes.com or Lairdplastics.com for a branch near you. These are the two largest distributors of sheets, tubes, etc.
I don't know how much you're looking for but if you have a prob, lemme know.
BTW, unless they have "rems" laying around, they will prolly want you to buy 4' minimum so be aware of that and it gets quite spendy as you go up in dia.

James

dattack
02/01/2004, 02:10 AM
Have you look into your yellow pages for plastics distributors/manufacturers? They can usually order it for you but prices can be very high.

Try www.mcmaster.com

Type acrylic tube in search. You can find the size you want in cast acrylic tubing.

SHARKSRME
02/01/2004, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the info!! Its greatly appreciated!

dank11
02/01/2004, 01:08 PM
Hey! If it's just for bio-balls
why not just make it sguare?
Or buy this one from me
8 x8x 16
$40 shipped

SHARKSRME
02/01/2004, 04:54 PM
Im talking about making something thats like 8 feet tall and around 12 inches in diameter. I dont think that 8x8x16 would do much for my tank, but thanks for the offer.

Acrylics
02/01/2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by SHARKSRME
Im talking about making something thats like 8 feet tall and around 12 inches in diameter. I dont think that 8x8x16 would do much for my tank, but thanks for the offer.
That said, you're gonna have to "seam" two pieces together as IIRC the longest standard size made is ~72" long. You can find 4', 5', & 6' lengths made.
There is a large price difference betweeen 8" & 12". Off hand, my guess is that two 4' lengths (1/4" wall) of 8" should run roughly $300 and 12" should run roughly $500,
It *might* be more economical to just make a "square tube" depending on what dia you want, that is *if* square tube will work for your project.

James

SHARKSRME
02/01/2004, 06:56 PM
To tell you the truth I haven't completely figured out what i want yet. I may even go with xxl pvc. I like acrylic because its clear and i could look into the chamber and see if any accumlation is happening. I think I will end up going with acrylic and due to the fact that the tube will only have water in the bottom foot or so I can go with a thin wall i.e. 1/4 inch. When looking at prices at mcmaster it looked as though thickness was really drove the price up.

getwet
02/03/2004, 09:36 AM
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=Acrylic&product%5Fid=Clear+Cast+Acrylic+Tubing

$63/ft for 12" 1/8 thick

liquidfunk
02/03/2004, 10:38 PM
why in the world do you want to use bioballs??? is this going to be an aerobic or anerobic area?

Try www.tapplastics.com too....