PDA

View Full Version : GFI Help!

drock59
02/01/2004, 12:59 AM
I know i need to install these in the outlets i use. There is a problem though. I am absolutely inept at doing anything electrical. Could someone out there give me some detailed instructions about what this is, why i need it, what it does and how to install it? thanks

richard55
02/01/2004, 01:32 AM
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/electric/elec_4.htm#gfci

If this is the only thing in the curcuit it is easy. I dont want you to take this wrong but if you are having a hard time understanding the instructions that came with i am going to advise you to find someone to install this for you. that said if you are determined to proceed you will need to figure out which wire is which. if you are luck there will only be 3 wires in the box. then the installation is straight forward the white is the nuetral the green is ground and the other is hot (maybe black red or blue). If you have more than 3 wires you need to know wich is from the breaker and which is to the rest of the curcuit. The easiest way for you to do this is to shut off the breaker. then remove one set of wires, they should be all in one piece of romex. now put wire nuts or tape on the bare copper. WARNING make sure that the copper is totally covered and not touching any thing. now plug in a light to the outlet, and make sure that the outlet is fully removed from the box. now turn on the breaker if the light comes on then you have the LINE side identified if not you have found the LOAD side. Now you should turn the breaker off and install the GFI as instructed. And as i stated before this is not something that a layman should attempt. the amperage present can hurt/kill you. If you have any need of further explanation please ask do not experiment with this.

Richard

drock59
02/01/2004, 01:44 AM
First of all, thank you very much for the information. Next, i am pretty handy but i have never really dealt with electrical. If there are only three wires then i should be fine. if there are more than three wires, then i may want to call the electrician. I dont want to fry anything including myself.

Also, where would i find a GFI? Home Depot Maybe?

drock59
02/01/2004, 01:47 AM
also, could you explain which wires i connect to which are on the back of the GFI. I havnt got it yet im just trying to do a little homework.

richard55
02/01/2004, 01:52 AM
the gfi when you buy it will have a good instructions and HD or any hardware store even wallmart will carry them. If there are more than 3 wires it is not that big of a deal just make sure you shut the breaker off before you do anything and then make sure that if you remove any wires that you cover them just incase. just becarefull. at home depot they have a home improvment book that is perfect you might want to pick it up. it is a big hardbound (1-2-3) something like that. After you buy it look over the instructions then ask for any help.

Richard

Trackz
02/01/2004, 02:00 AM
Like Richard said, it is extremely important to find the hot wire when you are putting one in. If you don't hook it up to the right place, you'll loose any benefit of the GFCI.

Also,, pay attention to which sockets go out when you trip the breaker. Every outlet AFTER the one you install it on will be protected as well. (think of them like a big chain).

drock59
02/01/2004, 02:07 AM
its off to home depot i go tomorrow! i will definately check out the Book at home depot. Im sure it will be fine. i will just make SURE i turn off the Breaker before i touch anything, follow the instructions and if i have any problems, call the electrician. Sound good to go?

richard55
02/01/2004, 02:11 AM
sure if you have probs you can put it all back togther and call us that is why we are here. you could also take pics as you go and make a DIY instruction set for others.

Trackz
02/01/2004, 02:13 AM
You got it. Last time I was at home depot, I noticed a GFCI power strip. It was pretty cool, made for outside workers and such. You may want to check that out instead, but it seems it was 25 or 30 bucks. The outlet will cost you 9 or 10.

drock59
02/01/2004, 02:14 AM
ill have to look into the power strip. seems a lot less hassle and a little more cash. ill check it out.

Thanks for all the help i will report back.

Trackz
02/01/2004, 02:15 AM
I have an extra unopened one here. (from HD I think, can't remember). I could scan the instructions that came with it :)

richard55
there you go that sounds a hell of a lot easier

but if you do install one try to take pics

Richard

Trackz
it was by the big portable construction lights i think.

drock59
02/01/2004, 02:18 AM
great!!!!!!ill check it out tomorrow. Thanks again