PDA

View Full Version : kent doser/ top off system (do they work?)

boyooso
02/01/2004, 12:41 AM
I got an IV drip thing from a doctor friend and it works....actually it doesn't stay consistent, It seems I have to re-adjust it every day or two.

Does the Kent system do better? Do you have to readjust it every day????

Thanks in Advance,

Corey

THP
02/01/2004, 01:46 AM
It seems to work fine for 6 or so months before you start having to adjust several times a day! I am currently waiting on the LFS to get a replacement dripper unit (can buy seperatly from Kent).

Do I recommend them? Not really but if you need an inexpensive solution for the short term, then there ok. Personally, I'm looking for a LiterMeter III to do my Kalk dosing.

hurleycr
02/01/2004, 02:25 AM
Build one!!!

It's really easy. Though I don't like a gravity feed for dosing.

I built mine out of a 3 gallon container from wal mart. Drilled two holes in it. Put airline tubing at the top in one hole, connect this tubing to an air pump. Then put airline tubing in the other hole and adjust it so it is just below the middle of the container, and let it hang in your sump. Go to lowes and get a drip system made for their brand of sprinkler systems and cut out the drip adjuster. It fits perfectly on airline tubing!! It is completly adjustable from less than a drop per second, to a full stream. Seal everything with plumbers goop, or JB Weld for PVC. Let it set up for 24 hours!!! The container must be air tight, it also has to be sturdy enough to hold with some air pressure on it! Otherwise it will just seep out the lid. It is best to find something that screws on, and put some silicone around the seal of the lid. It will still open, but it will provide enough cushion to make it completly airtight.

It works with the same theory as a keg of beer. Pump air into it and it pushes the water through the other tube. Very simple, very good. I've been running my for the past 8 months and havn't had to fool with it yet!

If you are interested in a more detailed explanation let me know or do a search for a DIY Doser on the DIY page and you will find a similar design.

reefscapes
02/01/2004, 02:28 AM
The IV dripper that you got from your friend is exactly the same as Kent's Doser. Obviously the difference is that you have to DIY the IV dripper that you have.

Drip adjustment becomes more frequent due to the calcium deposit that eventually develops as the tubing gets older. Can't really get around this other than replacing it with new tubing.

gcvt
02/01/2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by reefscapes
Drip adjustment becomes more frequent due to the calcium deposit that eventually develops as the tubing gets older. Can't really get around this other than replacing it with new tubing.

Or you can try flushing it with vinegar to get rid of the deposits - worked for me :)

wwxc
02/01/2004, 05:18 AM
I flush with vinegar twice a month, works like a charm. If you're not hard up for money the Kent Doser is high quality and more then worth the time and effort that you'd spend building your own.

Marine Depot has em cheap.

reefscapes
02/01/2004, 10:21 AM
Good point. I'll try that one of these days.

boyooso
02/01/2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the experiences and the viniger idea. I guess what I've been using isn't any worse than the kent thing.