PDA

View Full Version : Xenia Problem

JEMichael IV
02/01/2004, 12:28 AM
I really hate that it has come down to this. I have been fighting this patch of xenia for about a 4 months now. It is right next to the base of my Green Slimer Frag. I keep cutting them back and they keep coming back AND when they do its worse than the last time.

I cut them and then I try to inject kalk paste into whats left, but I swear it still doesnt kill them.

I need to get this little patch (about 8 stalks) out of my tank. They are located on the same rock my Green slimer is on. There is no way to remove the rock without a making a big project.

Is there anything else I can inject into these guys to make them melt away?

I know this could be taken wrong and I hope I can get some help instead of getting flamed for killing them. I am not one to kill anything, expecially involving corals. But I do not want to loose my huge green slimer or possibly any other corals as they reproduce like rabbits.

Thanks for any help anybody can offer.

tike
02/01/2004, 01:01 AM
i wouldn't worry too much. Let them grow and the slimmer will sting the heck out of it!

David M
02/01/2004, 01:03 AM
Use a razor blade to trim off the stalk as close to the base as possible. It should take some time for the colony to threaten the other corals and you get a regular harvest of xenia you can trade in to lfs or other hobbyists. I wish I had your problem. I used to take a five gallon bucket of the stuff in to lfs monthly, but it eventually died out. I have heard this is common. Wait long enough and you may regret the day you posted this.

H@rry
02/01/2004, 08:18 AM
I have found that when you attempt to pull Xenia off that it leaves a small amount of tissue on the rock from which it regenerates itself. If you don't try to remove the small ones and let it get bigger (the stalk at least as big as your finger) that it comes off much cleaner. Maybe the base of the stalk is tougher and less prone to tearing. Grab it and tear it off all at once. Don't "fiddle with it" long enough to let it start to deflate. I guess you've got to kinda "surprise it".