PDA

View Full Version : Water pump rasing tank temperature??

rpscuba
01/31/2004, 11:49 PM
I have a family member who has just set up a 220 gal freshwater (cichlid) tank and is having an issue with elevated temperatures. I am wondering if anyone out there with more experience/knowledge than I have can help him.

He is using a Blueline HD 70 pump that pulls water from the sump (approx 30 gallons) on into an Ocean Clear canister filter (model 325) and then back to the tank. Without any heaters being used the tank temp seems to be pretty steady at about 78 degrees (with a maximum of 81). The tank has N.O. fluorescent lighting and is fully covered with glass hoods. The sump is also fully covered with acrylic covers.

Do you think the Blueline HD 70 is the reason for the elevated temp (he would like it around 75 degrees)? If so, is there a better (cooler) pump out there with similar output that is pressure rated?

Thanks.

Kenzy
02/01/2004, 12:35 AM
Before shilling out more money for a new pump I would first remove the glass covers and install a fan or two to help cooling. If carpet surfing fish are an issue install eggcrate over the top of the tank to replace the glass covers.

hammerhead
02/01/2004, 12:43 AM
External pumps dont usally cause a heat issue. I would also get a fan in that hood.

rpscuba
02/01/2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Kenzy
Before shilling out more money for a new pump I would first remove the glass covers and install a fan or two to help cooling. If carpet surfing fish are an issue install eggcrate over the top of the tank to replace the glass covers.

Where would you put a couple of fans at? Also, where is a good place to get the fans.... Radio Shack??

Thanks.

rpscuba
02/01/2004, 11:32 PM
Update.....

Removed the glass hood and the cover on the sump.... no heaters at all plugged in... temp still remained at 79 degrees.

Anyone have any experience with the Blueline HD 70 that would let us know if they do or do not cause the temp to raise?

Blueline HD 70 owners please chime in with your experience.

Thanks.

Zoom
02/01/2004, 11:53 PM
I have a 200G tank and use a Iwaki 70 very similar pump and my tank water is at 78F without a heater.
After i install a skimmer and use one more iwaki 70 the temp in tha tank when up to 85F i don't need to said that now i have a chiller.
Now the first pump is 9 years old and still in service.

rpscuba
02/02/2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Zoom
I have a 200G tank and use a Iwaki 70 very similar pump and my tank water is at 78F without a heater.
After i install a skimmer and use one more iwaki 70 the temp in tha tank when up to 85F i don't need to said that now i have a chiller.
Now the first pump is 9 years old and still in service.

Thanks for the information. I guess that 79 is not a bad temp for the cichlid tank, however, we are concerned about this summer when it gets above 100 degrees for days/weeks at a time......

Zoom
02/02/2004, 12:11 AM
if you don't have AC in the hot summer days you will have a problem with the tank goin up to 90F even with only one pump you goin to need a large fan over the open top tank:p

rpscuba
02/02/2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Zoom
if you don't have AC in the hot summer days you will have a problem with the tank goin up to 90F even with only one pump you goin to need a large fan over the open top tank:p

Have A/C.... temp in house is set to 72 degrees in winter and summer..... so should we be safe?

Zoom
02/02/2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rpscuba
Have A/C.... temp in house is set to 72 degrees in winter and summer..... so should we be safe?
Yes if you have the AC set to come on at 72F

rpscuba
02/02/2004, 10:55 PM
Is it possible that the pump has some type of defect? Isn't 7 degrees quite a bit for a single pump to raise 220 gallons of water?