PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Advice

steve60
01/31/2004, 11:38 PM
I'm new to RC and am just finding my way around the forums - so I apologize if I'm posting my question to the wrong place.

I've got a 100 gallon acrylic tank that has a 6-10" seam that's come apart at the top front center of the tank (where the top horizontal piece meets the front). It's been like that for at least a year now, but I think it has gotten progressively worse over the years. I believe the acrylic is 1/4 thick (it's a standard Seaclear 100g).

After talking to my local shop, they said I should replace it immediately (that it could let go completely at any time), and that I couldn't repair it with water in the tank.

I'm willing to purchase a new tank if there's a real threat that the
current one will collapse. However, if it's repairable without endagering the livestock, I'd prefer that route.

Any suggestions?

If I do decide to get a new tank, what's the best way to replace the current setup and transfer the liverock / fish etc. I was thinking of transfering rock/fish/corals into large barrels/buckets, and then swapping the tanks and putting everything back.

Thanks,
Steve

ryt
02/01/2004, 12:35 AM
I doubt its only 1/4" thick, cause the max for that is usually 55g. If its gotten worse, its probably a threat and I would deal with it immediatly. The only way of repairing it that is really worthwhile would be to drain the tank and use weldon 4 to maybe reseal it. It sounds like you are referring to the brace, if it snapped you would hear a loud BONG followed by the bowing of the tank. you would get splashing but probably wouldn't be a complete blowout.