PDA

View Full Version : fish food?

hope2havareef
01/31/2004, 11:28 PM
could someone recommend a quality fish food? I'm getting ready to order some of the final items I need for reef tank even though I won't need it for a while. I plan on starting with clownfish so would need food for those.

NicoleC
02/01/2004, 12:02 AM
Cyclopeeze and Formula frozen foods are probably the top contenders. I also feed sweetwater zooplankton, which they love but it makes a bit of a mess. Mysis shrimp is also a good choice. An occassional treat of finely chopped fresh fish or shellfish is good. I save a little uncooked for the fishies when I have seafood.

Avoid brine shrimp and flake food. Flake food can be quite healthy, but clowns really prefer to eat out of the water column and not the top of the tank.

Ideally, you should feed a variety of foods. They appreciate the change and I have no doubt that a varied diet is better for them. If you are only going to pick one, I say go for Formula 1.

jhaake
02/01/2004, 12:42 AM
All of the fish food (seaweed, brine shrimp and Formula One pellets)I use come from Ocean Nutrtioun. All of my fish especially love the pellets with garlic.

imsqueak
02/01/2004, 12:49 AM
dont avoid brine, esp fresh hatch. your tank will thank you. just do it right and rinse them or hatch them into a hatcher that uses ro in the catching/harvesting container. $7 @ lfs. Reminds me to start a batch...