PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand minimum support??

acer88
01/31/2004, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I visited the URS site and saw Doug Schecks page with his construction of his 40g reef stand. My question is what size supports are needed to create the same setup he has with a horizontal rectangular box that the tank sets on and then vertical supports. HEre is a link to his site to see what I'm speaking of : http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfie...ing/57/id37.htm I have ordered a 40g tank with sump holes in the bottom, and while I wait I wanted to build a similar setup as Dougs with bookshelves, etc surrounding it. What size lumber should I use for the base?? Should I use 2x4's or can I go with some cured pine that is 1x3 as long as the sides are surrounded by 3/4" Birch/oak plywood and added cross supports?? Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Trackz
01/31/2004, 09:53 PM
Are you speaking of the verticals? 1x3 should be fine with 3/4 in. plywood sheathing. A lot of Oceanic stands are not much more than just 3/4 plywood. :)

texasreefer
01/31/2004, 09:55 PM
The link didn't work, but you should be fine using 1 x 3's. The weight can be supported by 3/4" plywood. As long as you have the weight pushing down on the top of the plywood. THe plywood will support a lot of weight as long as it is in compression.

acer88
01/31/2004, 10:13 PM
Here is a photo of what I was speaking of before, sorry about the broken link. The upright/horizontal supports I was thinking of using 1x3's and then the sides would be 3/4" birch or oak. The only change would be the left and right sides of the stand would extend to around 6 feet to include the canopy and the bookshelves, etc. Would this be acceptable?? Thanks again

http://www.wnyhsports.com/images/stand.jpg

Trackz
02/01/2004, 01:46 AM
If it is 6 ft long, make sure you at least put a couple of those 1x3s on both the front and back. Like this: (looking from the top)

# # # #

# # # #

You can space them a little farther on the front to allow for one bigger opening like that, or just put one in the middle if you have two doors.

Trackz
02/01/2004, 01:48 AM
That didn't come out right....:) like this:

#..........#.........#.........#
#....#....................#....#