PDA

View Full Version : diy sump modification

derek_setter
01/31/2004, 03:56 PM
okay, well i know a lot of people use rubbermaide containers as sumps and refugiums.. i was going to do this too, but my dad just wnted to buy a sump... oh well he offered to buy it and i said sure ( it was my b-day). While i was planning my own rubbermade sump, i had an idea about how i could incorporate carbon and filter floss (or whatever else) into the system, and have all the water flow through it.
where one would usually run a line from their tank directy to the sump. and use a bulkhead, you could run the line from the tank to a set of small drawers ( like something you sould use to organize junk-drawer- type objects). in the drawers you could put a bunch of holes in the bottom of each section, like a drip plate. then you would put something like filter floss in the top. put a piece in big enough to almost fill the compartment. leave some room for other holes around it incase it gets clogged. then have a ccarbon filtrtion section (or chemi-pure, etc.) do the same thing. then drill holes again in the very bottom section and place it so that it is right bove the water line in the first compartment of the sump.. all the water would have to flow through the media (unless it gets clogged) then the flow woudn't be restricted anyways. it also adds air/water contact like a wet/dry withought the bad effect.

what do you think about this... ???
To me it is original, but i am sure it has been done before