PDA

View Full Version : Mini skimmer

pistonfister
01/31/2004, 09:59 AM
I have a 10 gallon tank that I am building a 7 gallon mini sump/ refugium for. The only problem is designing a skimmer. Anyone have plans for a small skimmer. I am thinking of using a rio 400 for the pump is that to small ?

trueblood
01/31/2004, 11:05 AM
Instead, with only 17 gal. why not look into an airstone?

pistonfister
01/31/2004, 05:01 PM
Like one of those lee's airstones? That may work. I would still rather use a venture style though.

jman785
01/31/2004, 05:32 PM
I forgot the link, but they do have plans, somewhere on here, for a sodapop bottle skimmer...works well for its size :)

T Sandman
01/31/2004, 09:22 PM
Piston fister, How much room do you have for a skimmer? An in-sump one could be made relatively easily out of pvc. The eductor would be a little tricky to match to your pump. I'm not familiar with the rio 400. What is it's max head and rated flow?

If you need any other ideas or help with plans, go ahead and ask.

The tools needed would be a couple hole saws, a drill, and the glue. pvc skimmers work just as well as the pretty clear ones. And you can make one for under 50 bucks.

wetworx101
02/01/2004, 05:43 AM
look over at nano-reefs.com in the DIY section. I have done some injection skimmer for a nano conversions, and under the thread "nanoremora" you will find a perfect mini version of the AquaC remora...perhaps the best skimmer in the 60gallon and under (beats the crap out of a CPR bak pak). FWIW, AquaC let me know that they also plan on releasing a nano-sized version of the remora this year.