PDA

View Full Version : I was out of town, two tanks crashed? Why?

John Spain
01/30/2004, 12:16 PM
I have a 55gallon and a 10gallon nano. I had left detailed instructions for care of the tanks, which included pre measured food packs and instructions for water top off, that is it. Well for some unknown reason to me, pickling lime was added directly to the tank, anyway I was told that the water got very cloudy, (surprise) so anyway they checked ph and it was off the chart in both tanks. So they proceeded to just dump white viniger in an effort to bring ph down. Well I arrived in this morning and did water test. All levels are off the chart, I have done a 60% change and put carbon in both tanks. Did a second round of test and all levels are still off the chart, the only thing that is measurable is cal is 340 and alk is 300ppm. Colt coral is trying to stand up but looks like it has fragged its self, mushrooms just melted, pagoda cup looks fine? Lost all fish and shrimp, the only life left that I can see are my snails and a strawberry crab. Do you think my sad bed has any life left.
What should be done? I am just sick on my stomach over this.
They did at least remove dead fish for me!
Any advice would help, I am not sure what to do next. Wish I had more details to share but since I was not here i'm not sure what alllll happened!
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/30/2004, 12:20 PM
What should be done?

Is the pH presently too high or too low?

John Spain
01/30/2004, 12:52 PM
I belive it is still way high, test kit (hagen) shows purple which is not even listed on the chart.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/30/2004, 12:57 PM
You probably have a ton of crapola in the water from die off, so I'd do a big water change. Maybe 100%.

Expect to go thorugh an ammonia cycle. Maybe take living creatures that you can out and put them in a different tank.

John Spain
01/30/2004, 01:14 PM
Thank you!
I'm just sick over this, I do not have another tank large enough to hold corals. I assume you think all life is gone? So should I go ahead and order some miricle mud. Do you think this will be a short cycle for the tanks or will it be just like starting over from scratch.
The reason for this question is depending on what you think I may go ahead and upgrade the 55 gallon to a larger tank, and if I do would it be safe to use the old sand and rock?
Thanks Again,
John

John Spain
01/30/2004, 01:27 PM
What do you think actually killed everything? Sudden rise in ph or simply an overdose of lime or overdose of vinegar?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/30/2004, 01:28 PM
I assume you think all life is gone?

No, not necessarily. You made it sound bad, but I don't really know. In tank crashes, many things actually survive.

thedude
01/30/2004, 08:52 PM
Beat the crap out of the person that didn't follow directions.

John Spain
01/30/2004, 10:20 PM
I was mad enough too, but she felt as bad as I did I think. I had left the lime sitting by both tanks, I suppose from now on I will do a better job at housekeeping. She thought i had forgot to leave the instructions. Also on the job training was not given, I just called and ask her to do it for me and told her where food and water are kept. It was just a sad thing to have happen to us both. I think if anyone ever ask me to look after a tank I will have a conflict of some kind, and the next time I will certinly give more on the job training or just hire a professional. Problem is i live in in the country and not many people around that know saltwater.
J

thedude
01/31/2004, 01:01 AM
If I can show my mother in law how to take care of my tank then you can too!

All food was measured for exact amounts for each feeding. Any water additions were premixed with Kalk or whatever. Celphone number was on the wall, and any questions/problems were immediately to be phoned in. I labeled the pump switches so they could be turned off easily.

I made especially sure to say not to do anything without asking me first.

Boomer
01/31/2004, 05:24 AM
Hummm crapola, do you have a tech ref where this word is more defined ? Is there a test kit for his you know of ? I can't seem to find this word in any of my chemistry books :D

AcroSteve
01/31/2004, 06:55 AM
Isn't crapola cajun food?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2004, 08:14 AM
Sudden rise in ph or simply an overdose of lime or overdose of vinegar?

Could have been either one that killed one or a few organisms, and then a domino effect sometimes takes over, where O2 drops and ammonia rises, killing more things. Heat waves and power outages often have a similar effect.

Hummm crapola, do you have a tech ref where this word is more defined ? Is there a test kit for his you know of ?

I think we should pressure Habib into developing one! :lol:

Isn't crapola cajun food?

Depends on what restaurants you frequent, I guess. :D

Habib
01/31/2004, 10:30 AM
crapola is vulgar slang for rubbish. :D

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=crapola

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2004, 02:59 PM
crapola is vulgar slang for rubbish.

And are you working on a rubbish kit???? :D

Boomer
01/31/2004, 04:54 PM
No Randy, I think he is saying he is full of rubblish or his kits are just rubbish :D