PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for starting a reef tank? Poll

wakeboarder2342
01/30/2004, 12:13 AM
Why did you start a reef tank? im not sure i did this right as this is my first post with a poll. I want to know if why people started reef keeping?

sw-addict
01/30/2004, 12:25 AM
I started a reef tank because it just seemed like the next step in aquariums. I have had turtles, frogs, bluegil, guppies, betas, crocidiles, oscars, angels, back to chiclids, then live rock tank that was boring then added mean fish lions and clown triggers then calmed down to mild fish that were reef safe then added my first coral.

skattabrain
01/30/2004, 12:49 AM
what about - "had way too much money just sitting there in the bank!"

RobChuck
01/30/2004, 01:24 AM
It was the next challenge in aquaria for me. I started with FW, then SW fish only, then FOWLR, and now I'm just getting into reefs.

bergzy
01/30/2004, 01:53 AM
i have kept fw for almost 30 years (and i am just a few years over 30) and have kept everything...all types of goldfish, angelfish, exotic arrawana, discus...list goes on.

i made the jump directly to reef and skipped the fo and fowlr. i read many a books before getting into it. took a break for a little and have been back with a vengeance.

Reefmedic79
01/30/2004, 02:29 AM
I've always wanted to be a Marine Biologist.

Scuba Dog
01/30/2004, 02:51 AM
I love the ocean, unfortunatly im land locked and likely always will be........so i started to scuba dive and hit the reefs about threee dive vacations a year........then i bought and underwater camara system and started giting phot album after ablbum .......then i thought why not have a reef in my living room i can see every day......and own my own little piece of the ocean, and be able to mix different fish from all over the worlds reef together......face it im to chicken to go dive the red sea to see purple tangs.....because of the middle east dangeres........but i can see one every day in my tank........

gromulin
01/30/2004, 03:08 AM
Trapped in house with 20 month old and 8 month old kids. Can't go fishing whenever I want. Need diversion....expensive, but cheaper than therapy. Enjoy keeping oldest forms of life on the planet to view and study. Get to stare at water, just like fishing.
Mongo Happy.

brahm
01/30/2004, 03:49 AM
Nothing beats starting at your tank to unwind your brain after a fraustrating day at work.

SoKaL ReeFiN
01/30/2004, 03:57 AM
Because I learned it wasn't as hard as some people made it out to be..

spham
01/30/2004, 04:12 AM
FOWLR got boring for me.

Aaron1100us
01/30/2004, 05:06 AM
I've allways had a thing for aquariums but snorkeling in the bahamas and seeing a reef in real life made me want one.

MFrance
01/30/2004, 12:27 PM
I always had FW but then I saw my buddy's tank with all the options and variance of life and thought it was coolest thing ever. THen I got to go diving in the Bahamas in Coco Cay, Nassau, and in Mexico. ....thats when the bug got me...like the plague!

Tahoe Ocean
01/30/2004, 01:20 PM
Here's another vote for did the freshwater thing and wanted a bigger challenge.

skattabrain
01/30/2004, 01:28 PM
because it's a connection to my family living is south pacific... new caledonia

crawfish
01/30/2004, 01:48 PM
Switched from freshwater. At the time, it seemed more logical and exciting to set up a reef tank than a fish-only.

pixburg-reefer
01/30/2004, 04:08 PM
Loved the ocean since my first trip to the beach when I was 5, found a fiddler crab, been down hill since. I am land locked to, so, having my own little glass box, as my own little piece of the ocean seemed like a great idea. It keeps me busy and more focused on my school work, because I'm working toward becoming a marine ecologist. Also, coral propagation is very important, and is a small step, turning into a large one, is helping save the reefs. Even though I don't think we will ever stop importing corals, propagation is a good step for reef keeping. I was also amazed by all of the fish and inverts. you are able to keep in one little system. That pretty much explains it for me
Kelly (my only regret is not getting a larger tank!)

Jamesurq
01/30/2004, 04:32 PM
had too much free time and money..

hubris007
02/07/2004, 03:59 PM
So i could take part in polls. Oh wait, that's why a joined RC. How about, I didn't think freshwater was challenging any more?

coyoteseven
02/08/2004, 11:19 AM
After 20+ years with FW, I figured I would try something different. Also, living only 15 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, I am able to get all sorts of critters for free (I do follow the FDNR guidelines for personal collecting).

crescent1
02/08/2004, 12:00 PM
primal urge to be in control of a ecosystem and then brag about it.;)

3_high_low
02/08/2004, 12:24 PM
My brother had a reef tank back in the 80's. I loved it but had no extra cash. I had a very simple marine tank back then with a couple inverts and fish but didn't start a real reef tank until a few years ago when free time and money became more abundant.:D

diablodragon
02/08/2004, 12:42 PM
I work at a pet store, combination of my boss telling me I cant advice customers on reef tanks if I dont' have one :), and I took a college fish keeping class. Plus I got a reallt good deal on a 7 gallon bowfront ( like most of it free) ;)

Fishtale7
02/08/2004, 12:46 PM
Went snorkeling down in Jamaica a few years back and was amazed at the colors and life just below the surface of the clear blue water, and decided that I want to bring that home with me, and I guess I did!!!

jon007
02/08/2004, 01:01 PM
Had a baby (8 months old now). Decided that wroking in the garage on cars for hours on end was no good anymore, so i needed a new hobby. My older brother has a reef tank, saw it, and was hooked. Plus my daughter tries to jump into the tanks at the LFS when i take her, so im sure she will dig it once i get it up and running.

BryanJ
02/09/2004, 03:39 AM
I saw a picture of a flame angel when I was in my early 20's and decided I wanted keep sw fish. I finally decided to spend the money on a tank in my early 30's and bought what I thought was a big enough tank.(think again) Now I can't get a bigger tank fast enough. However this tank will be planned and budgeted for from start to finish.

Stormbringer22
02/09/2004, 05:46 AM
I wanted a Lionfish last year, started researching with my new computer, saw how much info was at my fingertips, next thing I know, I planned/built my softy reef. This year I finally got my Lionfish in the "decorator coralhead" fish only set up I was going to have to begin with! Now there's hardly any more space in my lil one bdrm apt!

Frick-n-Frags
02/09/2004, 06:45 AM
I have always thought coral reefs and the reef animals were the coolest thing I'd ever seen, so I wanted to keep them and propagate them too. So that would be one vote for the last choice: other.

ReeferMac
02/09/2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by jamesbburgess
Why did you start a reef tank?

LOL! My (now) wife (then girlfriend), thought it would be cheaper than a Fouton. :lmao:

- Mac

Flameangel
02/09/2004, 10:11 AM
I went to Hawaii and I loved the fish and the coral. Also, I felt like I was not learning anything new in my life and I wanted to have an oppportunity to grow and expand my mind. I am not sure that I ever imagined that there would be sooooo much to learn. I have been doing this 8 years and I still feel like a beginner!

Connie