Jimi Hendrix
Alice Cooper
Grateful Dead
AC/DC
Fiona Apple - ah not really but I like a lot of her songs

What are yours??

Starmy
07/27/2001, 01:11 PM
I listen to too much to name. There were my highschool favorites, and I prefer the earlier albums.

V Femmes
Pixies
Mazzy Star
Luna
James
Primus

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 01:52 PM
No particular order:

Godsmack
Deftones
Tool
Gun N Roses
Disturbed
Static X
Drowning Pool
Staind
Linkin Park
KoRn
Ozzy
Manson
Slayer
Mudvayne
and a bunch bunch more..........

I RULE
07/27/2001, 02:40 PM
hehe - tsherrif - I like SOME of the music you listed - ozzy. Are you one of those people that wears all black and hates companies like Abercrombie and Fitch or Ralph Lauren?

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 02:42 PM
I dont wear black, sometimes. but god, abercrombie and ralph lauren...SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol
Tim

P.S. By the pic u look like a wannabe skater or a prep

I RULE
07/27/2001, 02:46 PM
skater - ha

prep - I wear khakis if that what you're getting at

My wardrobe consists of khakis and a solid color t-shirt (usually olive green or black) or khakis and a polo, I wouldnt really say I'm a prep

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 02:49 PM
a wannabe prep maybe? It really doesnt matter what you wear, but who you are friends with.
Tim

MickO
07/27/2001, 02:54 PM
Favs in no particular order:
NIN
Jean-Michel Jarre
Kraftwerk
Bjork
Vangelis
Front242
Depeche Mode (Silicon Teens)
OMD
AlphaVille

I RULE
07/27/2001, 02:55 PM
well in that case I"m not a prep, I hate them, I dont mind what they wear but if they act like they're the best, I want to punch them in the face.

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE]I dont mind what they wear but if they act like they're the best, I want to punch them in the face.[/QUOTE
Couldnt of said it better myself!
Tim

I RULE
07/27/2001, 03:01 PM
Centrevill Va, is that over by Virginia Beach VA?

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 03:02 PM
its near dc.

I RULE
07/27/2001, 03:04 PM
Ok, I gotcha, I used to live in Va beach for what it's worth

Starmy
07/27/2001, 03:08 PM
TShiff5521 - what are you, like 16 or something?

I can remember when my mentality (as low as it was then) revolved around social classes...preps, skaters, surfers, stoners... and then you realize that nothing you say or do means anything, and *boom* comes a little maturity.

Then you learn how to accept people for who they are, and not pick your friends based solely on what music they listen to, or what clothes they can or can't afford to wear, or what color they wear.

It's sad to see people focusing everything on things that are so trivial.

I RULE
07/27/2001, 03:19 PM
I personally although it may sound like it according to you starmy, but I personally dont judge a book by it's cover, I have friends that are popular and friends that are incredibly ugly and are losers, but they're all cool. I think what me and Tsheriff were talking about is that if the person is obsessed with name-brand clothes and such (ie material girl) then they are an idiot. And if they know they're popular and take advantage of it by being mean to people, or raising themself above the crowd, I consider them an idiot. I know a few years from now it wont matter - but right now it does, because people at school get beat up for stupid things like this.

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 03:22 PM
Starmy, i agree with I Rule. And before you accuse me of my mentality being revolved around social classes, why dont you look at what you as a adult have. Political parties, seperation from management and employees are work. Just think, same thing, different level.
Tim

Starmy
07/27/2001, 03:27 PM
Clothes, money, friends, cars, etc. are definitely the deciding factor as far as a highschool social life goes. It can really make people's lives miserable. I belonged to my little highschool clique...the "alternative/skater/punk/non-conformist rich kid" group, before being a non-conformist was trendy. :) I'm not criticizing, I just hate seeing younger (16 - 18) year old kids parading around the malls, picking on the "uncool" kids, or making fun of someone because they have a bag from the cheap store. Just remember that no matter how cool you are in highschool, you're just another bogus, scumbag freshman when you hit college. :D

Starmy
07/27/2001, 03:33 PM
And before you accuse me of my mentality
Mentality was a general comment, I see nothing to indicate it being an accusation directed specifically toward you. Please don't personalize this, I was actually stating that MY mentality was low when I was in highschool...

Political parties, seperation from management and employees are work.
I'm sorry, but your sentence makes no sense.
:confused:

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 03:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Political parties, seperation from management and employees are work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but your sentence makes no sense.

I may seperate people into preps, losers, skaters, punks, metal heads, BUT you seperate them into repulbica, libertarian, democratic.

Starmy
07/27/2001, 03:41 PM
I don't think it's very accurate for you to say what I do or don't do, since you truly have no idea. I don't separate anyone based on a political party - primarily because I wouldn't advocate for the hypocricy that would ensue since I'm not a member of any one of them.

If you mean "you" in a broader sense, you should try and streamline a bit, since there are a lot of "you" groups I fall in to.

hesaias
07/27/2001, 04:19 PM
C'mon let the man be a HS kid!

If this aint a drifted thread I cant find one:D

Blind Willie Johnson
Rev. Gary Davis
The Blind Boys of Alabama
FFH
Caedmons Call
Jennifer Knapp
"Pops" Staples
Jars of Clay (the first album, uh, CD)
Steven Curtis Chapman

In no particular order.

When I was in High School, I was a redneck artist wanna-be with very big hair (see Lori's picture thread for an example), and drove a '68 Buick Lesabre dubbed, the "Power wagon"
If that werent cool, I dont know what is:D

Q-ball
07/27/2001, 05:35 PM
No particular order...

Beatles
Dave Matthews Band (seein em next Wed:D)
Joshua Redman
Joe Satriani
Billy Joel
Linkin Park
Godsmack
Korn
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails

I can go straight from a Beatles cd to Korn without missin a beat too:D

Q!!!

jimhobbs
07/27/2001, 05:44 PM
:D:D:DAnything but 'country!':D:D:D

Starmy
07/27/2001, 05:46 PM
I was a non-stop NIN fan in highschool/early college, but I don't care much for their new stuff. The Downward Spiral was OK, everything before it was great, but I don't care much for the stuff since. Same with Ministry - the last thing I liked from them was Psalm 69.

polo
07/27/2001, 08:00 PM
I'll throw my 2 cents in the pot.

Ramones
Green Day
Billy Joel
Chicago
Carpenters
Boston
Dixie Chicks
Eagles
Styx

I know that's a mixed a bag but it just depends on my mindset at the time. I'm on a big Green Day kick right now. I like alot of other stuff too, those are the ones that came to mind. Have a super weekend! :cool:

Drewman
07/27/2001, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by jimhobbs
:D:D:DAnything but 'country!':D:D:D

I would have to agree 100% with this, although I can't take very much rap before I leave the party. Well, not really leave the party, maybe the room:) I'm in a Blink 182 thing right now. A friend of mine has blink's new dvd, its pretty cool.

TShiff5521
07/27/2001, 09:56 PM
Blink 182 !??!? SELLOUTS!!!!!!!!!!! Just an opinion though,

Tim

mr9iron
07/27/2001, 11:51 PM
[list]
Metallica
Deftones
Elvis
Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Creed
Classical(generalization)
[/list

I like a huge varity of music. ] :smokin: I do despise country.

I RULE
07/28/2001, 12:09 AM
Beatles - they were way ahead of their time - If they were to somehow timewarp to this day and age and sing all of their songs - their songs would be a huge hit. Not sure if anyone else got that but...

Right on, country sucks

Drewman
07/28/2001, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by TShiff5521
Blink 182 !??!? SELLOUTS!!!!!!!!!!! Just an opinion though,

Tim

Just curious, why do you think they are sellouts?:confused:

reptilicus
07/28/2001, 12:58 AM
Midnight Oil
AC/DC
Cold Chisel
Men At Work
The Angels
Hoodoo Gurus
Hunters and Collectors
Australian Crawl
The Pouges
The Specials
Dead Kennedys
Amebix
NOFX
Dire Straits

Regards,
Tom

aragorn
07/28/2001, 01:32 AM
The original Journey(circa 1975) w/ Greg Rollie on keyboards and vocals and Neal Schon on lead guitar.
Nothin' better. :)

Flamin`Angel
07/28/2001, 02:11 AM
Johnny Winther
Clapton
Hendrix
John Mayall
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Roy Rogers(The slide-dude NOT the cowboy lol)
Omar and the Howlers
B.B.King
Fleetwood Macs old stuff
ZZ Tops old stuff
Buddy Guy

and so on ...one track music-mind huh ??:rolleyes:

Sorry but Beatles just does`nt quite do it 4 me,and if you belive in HELL,i`m pretty sure they toast you while listening to country:p

BTW Metallica and Ozzy is the ones that helps me set the neighbor straight,when he listens to country:D

I RULE
07/28/2001, 02:25 AM
well - you know the expression - whatever floats your boat - except country because it sucks

TShiff5521
07/28/2001, 08:30 AM
Just curious, why do you think they are sellouts?

They are sell outs because they used to be a " punk " band. Then they gained popularity, earned a bunch of money, turned " Pop ( ugh!!!!! ) and still claim to be a punk band. If you listen to their music from before Enema of the State, and follow it all up to Take off your Pants and Jacket, you will see a HUGE difference in thier music. A difference that I ( and many many others ) believe was caused by their fame and a incredible increase in their bank accounts.

Tim

hesaias
07/28/2001, 11:21 AM
Tshift
These days, money talks, BS walks.

It has nothing to do with making misuc for the sake of being an artist. If it wont sell, you get kicked to the curb. Punk isnt the best selling style out there, hence, sellout.
Shoot, listen to Kill 'em All then listen to Load. Everybodys gotta eat. Happens to the best of 'em. Remember KISS Unmasked?

Want folks who dont sell out, listen to Prewar blues:D Dats MUSIC!

TShiff5521
07/28/2001, 12:25 PM
Hesaias, i agree with what you say 110%, but they still claim to be " punk " and they are not. Which, makes them sell outs. They should get it over with, and just claim to a Pop ( ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwy ) band.
Tim

hesaias
07/28/2001, 12:48 PM
Didnt the Clash do the same thing? Ive never heard Blink-182.
Your right, they should fessup.
Arent they on tour with N-Sync anyway:D

Drewman
07/28/2001, 01:03 PM
Blink may have changed their style of music, but come on! Pop?!?!?! The day they are categorized as pop, is the day I stop listening. Listen to nsync and then listen to blink, and tell me they are pop! I know how you feel about them changing, a friend of mine says it all the time. It seems they changed right when Scott left and Travis entered. Either way, if they could have made so much money you can't blame them for it:smokin: Band's styles all change over time...

TShiff5521
07/28/2001, 01:20 PM
LoL~! Well, i and many others think they are Pop. They sound nothing like NSYNC ( See: Nasty ) but they are still Pop. I mean, Britney Spears sounds nothing like NSYNC, but she is still Pop. And besides, if they arnt Pop, what are they? ANY self respecting punker would deny that Blink ever was punk. And they fail to fit into any other music genre besides Pop. I think this year will be the last year that they are even on the Warped Tour. Next year, they will probably be on the :uzi: TRL Tour. And although punk isnt the BEST selling stuff out there, plenty of punk bands have made it. Like MXPX, Pennywise, The Ataris, and many others. So to tell me that Blink had to change their style in order to make money, is total BS.

Tim

wdt2000
07/28/2001, 10:14 PM
PHISH!!!

MIKE
07/28/2001, 10:28 PM
Cream
Zepplin
Bruce Hornsby
The Dead
Cracker
Allman Bros.
Blind Faith
Traffic
Santana
Chris Isaak
Jackson Browne
Beatles
And about 200 others (I have 500 cd's)

I RULE
07/28/2001, 10:30 PM
I like Mike's choice of music

hkriegal
07/28/2001, 10:34 PM
Listed in order of greatness
-----------------------------------
Our Lady Peace
Green Day
Incubus (older stuff, they kinda sold out)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (newer stuff)
Smashing Pumpkins (older stuff)
Stone Temple Pilots
Weird Al (gotta have some comedy in your life)

I know everyone will disagree, but here you go.

russr
07/28/2001, 10:48 PM
Re: Blink: Not punk...but not pop. Couple guitars and a drummer and I call it rock and roll. :D

Being able to play an instrument and write their own songs has to put them in a different category than Nsync and Brittney.

Personally...I listen to everything except Brittney/Nsync/etc and rarely Country. Current stuff piled on my desk...

Pink Floyd
Lenny Kravitz
Metallica
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Janes Addiction
Crystal Method
Yo-Yo Ma
Mozart
Dr. Dre
Eminem
Lester Young
Miles Davis
Enya
Flop
A Celtic bagpipe compilation
Zepplin

Gotta love variety. :D

I RULE
07/28/2001, 11:00 PM
well hey You cant have Yo-Yo Ma without having eminem, those two go hand in hand.

btw - to say that Blink182 fits in the Rock N Roll category is an insult to all of the bands that actually are categorized as Rock N ROll

6-line
07/29/2001, 11:57 AM
RUSH
Yes
New Order*
Bauhaus*
Echo and the Bunnymen*
Tori Amos
Creed
Tool (gotta love those bass riffs and maynard)
Led Zep
the Smiths*
The Cure*
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Kansas
Joy Division*
Sara Mclaughlin
Enya
Alice in Chains
*astericks from my older, post punk days in the 80's, but still love all those bands nonetheless

MickO
07/29/2001, 12:25 PM
Don't forget that New Order and Joy Division is one and the same :)

Canadian
07/29/2001, 01:41 PM
Our Lady Peace
(older) Limp Bizkit
Alien Ant Farm (I really like their cover of Smooth Criminal)
Tchaikovsky
Staind
Incubus
Nickleback
Tool
Blink-182 (most of their stuff prior to Take Off Your Pants and Jacket)
Eve 6
Limestone

And the list goes on and on. I listen to a pretty eclectic selection of music...country is the only one that makes me want to vomit ;)

hkriegal
07/29/2001, 01:44 PM
Somebody else who likes OLP, I'm amazed, I thought I was the only one
j/k

hcs3
07/29/2001, 02:42 PM
well, at least MIKE has good taste in music. can't say much for the rest of ya :eek1:

BTW, mike, you forgot widespread panic and string cheese incident

henry

gregt
07/29/2001, 03:05 PM
In no particular order....

Pink Floyd
Crash Test Dummies
Mozart
Handel
Beethoven
Vivaldi
Seal
Tom Petty
Supertramp
Police
The Hooters
America
Hootie and the Blowfish
Genesis
Chuck Mangone

I RULE
07/29/2001, 08:41 PM
I forgot one - lee michaels

nk57
07/29/2001, 09:10 PM
Q, I saw Joshua Redman at the Tarrytown Musical Hall back in May. Wow what a show!

Nancy

O'Man
07/29/2001, 09:57 PM
No particular order, and pardon the spelling, some of my favorites
Little Feat
Kate Bush
Bob Marley
Popa Chubby
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Annie Lennox
Aretha Franklin
Desmond Decker
The Specials
Cocteau Twins
Grateful Dead
Johnny Clegg & Savuka
Santana
David Grissman
Little Village(most of Ry Cooders Stuff):smokin:

6-line
07/29/2001, 11:24 PM
MickO,
Saying New Order and Joy Division are one in the same is like saying Peter Murphy and Bauhaus are the same :)
New Order is minus the suicidal lead singer and plus the keyboardist 'what's her name' ....Gillian Gilbert.....

Hey, but at least you know who they are...
Anyone been to Villiars Terrace?
To see what was happening?

Just curious ;)

lori344
07/30/2001, 12:25 AM
Another mixed bag:

Acoustic Alchemy
Jesse Cook
Hiroshima
Najee
Strunz & Farah
Craig Chaquico
Keiko Matsui
Paul Taylor
Ottmar Liebert
Santana
The Robert Cray Band
Mark-Almond
Bob Marley
Jackson Browne
Counting Crows
3 Doors Down
Dave Matthew’s Band
Van Morrison
Kim Richey
Sade
Kami Lyle
Suzanne Ciani

~lori

reptilicus
07/30/2001, 02:48 AM
Tshiff,
I totally agree with you re: Blink. I hate that band. They are a bunch of crappy pop stars who think they are so bloody good but are actually nothing more than musical prostitutes who happen to be laughing all the way to the bank.
I used to be into punk in a big way, and real punk, not that pop crap. Stuff like Conflict, Crass, Icons of Filth, Extinction of Mankind, Assrash, Antisect, Amebix, GBH, Septic Death, Mob 47, Asocial, Skitsystem, Red Alert, Chaos UK, the Varukers, Vice Squad, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Discharge, Disorder, Chaotic dischord etc, and I can tell you the day that any punk says the Blink 182 are even remotely related to a punk band is the day punk rock dies forever. Yes, the Clash and the Sex Pistols did "sell out", but compared to Blink 182, they are the most hardcore, DIY or DIE, SQUAT OR ROT, ANARCHIST PUNK BAND THAT EVER EXISTED!!!
Regards,
Tom

firechild
07/30/2001, 06:52 AM
Well it's good to see they got a mention, TOOL are THE greatest band of all time. After seeing them live the other night, I know that in my mind that will never change. They are unique sound and have kept that for many years without being changed by the popular influence.
ditto for Reptilicus Re: Blink, same goes for the likes of Offspring and other bands that have changed to fit the mainstream crap.

6-line
07/30/2001, 08:57 AM
firechild,
I will say the Tool is one of my favorite of the 'new' bands.
They have that sound...and if you watch those incredible videos that seem to fuse with the music so well. They are one of those groups you just have to sit down, listen and become one with the sound. A few of the tracks on the CD's I can do without, but for the most part...awesome.
Sort of reminds me of the old Cure stuff, somewhere along the lines of 'the Forest' and the music they put out in that era....

Drewman
07/30/2001, 06:55 PM
:eek1: Good thing I didn't say I like Offspring...;)

I RULE
07/30/2001, 07:21 PM
My brother does - of course he is one of those druggies who hangs out at clubs and takes ecstacy, so with that in mind.....\

and speaking of MTV - it has come to my attention that it is now pure crap. It's so materialistic and well......dumb. The only good show on there really is Daria (how ironic - a show that mocks materialism yet shown on mtv) and Jackass.

Vh1 on the other hand - that's a good station, they actually feature music. And good music at that, not crappy rap or anything like that.

MickO
07/30/2001, 08:58 PM
Leonard, I love dance/trance/techno. But go figure - I'm originally from Europe! :)

Nagel
07/30/2001, 09:15 PM
I'd have to say current favorites are more jam oriented such as:

Phish
Grateful Dead
Trey Anastasio
Addison Groove Project
Uncle Sammy
Bruce Hornsby
Phil Lesh
Rusted Root
Allman Brothers
Blue Man Group
KVHW
Widespread Panic

Good Old Rock and Roll Favorites

Boston
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton
Van Halen
Yes

I've seen 300+ shows, everything from AC/DC and NIN to Yes and Yanni. Only things I do not like are country, dance/club, and POP-40 stuff.

Currently at 55 Phish concerts and holding for them to lift a hiatus.
(best part is I started seeing Phish AFTER college, and still managed 19 shows a year with a normal 9-5 job)

Nanook
07/30/2001, 10:15 PM
So much to choose from out there, plus as I get older my tastes are starting to change. Here are a few of my all-time favs:

Santana,
Marshall Tucker
Robert Marley
Jimmy Buffett
Black Sabbath
Rush
Stones
Country Joe & the Fish
Grateful Dead
Rusted Root
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Neil Young
Donovan
Janis Joplin
Nektar
Zappa
B-52's
Doors
Supertramp

That's the rock favs, not going to get into the blues, jazz, and funk favs. Music is always on while cruising the boards.

nanook

discented
07/31/2001, 08:57 AM
Hi guys, here is my list in no perticular order..

-Guns N' Roses
-Stianed
-Dave Matthews Band
-Mettalica
-Nirvana
-Eminem
-Limp Bizkit
-Pearl Jam
-Linkin Park
-Red hot chili peppers,..................................................................... and to much more to list.

reichard
07/31/2001, 12:17 PM
No world music people?

Here's my list, in order of current favorites in declining order:

Gaelic Storm
Dr Didj
Dead Kennedys/LARD/NoMeansNo/Jello biafra
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
Primus (first three CDs)
Nirvana
Victor Wooten

Niven
07/31/2001, 01:15 PM
PHISH
U2
Neil Diamond
Tupac

Not so much, but still like
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani

Used to be into and still like the old stuff, but new stuff sucks
Pantera
Metallica
Megadeath
Anthrax

chewie
07/31/2001, 01:30 PM
here's my list

PANTERA IMO they are the only band that doesn't suck!!!