PDA

View Full Version : Learning activities at the next NCPARS meeting

zooqi
01/28/2004, 01:19 AM
I thought to add some new stuff to the meeting this time and have an area to drill a tank. I was going to do that at my meeting but you guys know how busy it got. I'm not the host this time and I thought I will show how to drill a tank two or three different ways step by step for those who want to learn. I might just use smaller tank to do that. Hope I can get the parts in on time.

If you guys have any suggestions or other stuff to do then please let me know.

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 01:26 AM
thats easy to do
:rolleye1:

zooqi
01/28/2004, 01:34 AM
Uh hah,, Which method do you use ? Then can you please do the method that you do there and I will bring the tank. I can do the other method and that will save some time. I'm sure some don't know how to do that and want to see it done.

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 01:39 AM
dremel and diamond bits

Ron

zooqi
01/28/2004, 01:41 AM
sounds good.. would you please do that method at the meeting if you have an hour step by step and I can use the other ways. :)

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 01:47 AM
sure can dont forget im always the late guy

zooqi
01/28/2004, 01:53 AM
hahaha,,,, I'm sure you don't have any weddings the day before. Will you bring the tools that you use then ?

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 01:59 AM
yes water bottle dremel and diamond bits only thing i need is a bulk head and gasket

Ron

zooqi
01/28/2004, 02:10 AM
sounds good. I will have bulk head, gasket, and a tank.

carribeanlovers
01/28/2004, 07:41 AM
Do you guys show how to frag at the meetings? If not maybe this can be done some how? Maybe not with simple stuff like leathers and mushrooms but other stuff (zoos, frogspawn, star ployps, etc). I'm sure the newbies would appreciate this. I would :)

zooqi
01/28/2004, 08:38 AM
If somebody else wants to do any activity that will be great and helpful too. Since I will be working on the glass then I will be able to get tanks in and drill them and then take them out. Any takers for any other acitivity there other than drinking and eating :D

ByTor
01/28/2004, 07:50 PM
I can show everyone some of my methods on fragging just about anything...
I'll bring a few of my tools.

bmkindig
01/28/2004, 09:05 PM
hey tim
where do you get your tools. i've gotten some special tools but none for fragging yet other then my blade.

brad

zooqi
01/28/2004, 09:40 PM
Sounds very good and please let me know when you start so I can get my camera ready if you don't mind.

Originally posted by ByTor
I can show everyone some of my methods on fragging just about anything...
I'll bring a few of my tools.

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 10:08 PM
hey mo why dont we also let people try to drill the tank
just bring a junk tank ill mark it off for them and let them go to town while they are doing it we can give them advice

Ron

nixnutz
01/28/2004, 10:38 PM
My new/used 110 needs drilled. Just promise you won't break it. :eek2:

Rahn

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 10:41 PM
how thick is the glass?

and how many holes?

Ron

nixnutz
01/28/2004, 10:45 PM
Not sure how thick, but it's a standard perfecto 110, 48"x18"x30". Does that help? If not, I can check it tomorrow and let you know.

4 holes-2x2" drains and 2x1"returns.

Rahn

BTW...I have the bulkheads for the holes.

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 10:47 PM
is the bottom tempered?or plate glass?

Ron

nixnutz
01/28/2004, 10:50 PM
Pretty sure it's tempered. I believe that's standard on a perfecto.

Rahn

sixpackrt
01/28/2004, 10:52 PM
well theres no drilling the bottom if tempered
you will hear poof bye bye bottom

Ron

nixnutz
01/28/2004, 10:55 PM
I kinda figured that. Perhaps you can demonstrate that too... :lol: on the junk tank of course. I was looking to drill the back of it.

Rahn

bmkindig
01/29/2004, 12:36 AM
speaking of poof,
kerry (reedercontracting) has a tank he thought of getting drill but he said it's a safety glass i think he said and i was wondering if that was possilbe.i'll double check with him.is it ussually just the bottom or the whole tank.
thanks this is a cool though i said my next tank will be drilled and reef ready. can't wait till i get my 265.sometime this year it's just a matter of time gettting it all ready.
brad

nancysnuwave
01/29/2004, 07:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to get away from working at the house that day!~ How about something on working w/ acrylic? I need a custom sump and a couple of other things, and was thinking I would order parts cut for that?

Would anyone be interested in learning about working w/ acrylic (not that I could teach.. but someone must know how to do this stuff?)

Chris

nancysnuwave
01/29/2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by nancysnuwave
How about something on working w/ acrylic?
In thinking about acrylic, that is almost enough of a project for a whole different meeting?

I think the glass idea is a really good one, Mo..

Would you suggest which bits to buy (I'm thinking DREMEL here), and others could bring a 180 gallon tank or other piece of glass to practice on?

Sanjay
01/29/2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by sixpackrt
hey mo why dont we also let people try to drill the tank
just bring a junk tank ill mark it off for them and let them go to town while they are doing it we can give them advice

Ron

You don't need people to bring a tank. Since you are basically drilling glass, get some scrap sheets/peices of glass from a glass store and let people to at it.

sanjay.

zooqi
01/29/2004, 09:44 PM
I have a friend here who can drill tempered glass but who won't be coming to the meeting. I will be recording him sometimes doing step by step on how to drill a tempered glass. If you want the bottom of the tank to be drilled then I can hook you up with him and he wants the tank to be brough here to his place. He uses a methode that was used 80=90 yrs ago to drill the tank too and nothing of the stuff that we use.

bmkindig
01/29/2004, 10:46 PM
hey mo you going to have the parts to complete a water tight hole on these newly drilled tanks?
i was thinking of getting the 55 i'm getting drilled while i was there.
brad

saltydoc
01/31/2004, 06:14 PM
Don't mean to hijack,
But I was searching for info on RC, and came across this thread and the posts from other North Central PA residents. Howdy! I live in the Williamsport area and am a reef newbie. (I'm also a relative PA newbie; only moved here a couple of years ago.) I've never tried corals, because I'm afraid I can't keep them alive! My saltwater experience to date consists of running a FOWLR tank successfully for a year and having it crash after some bad fish and worse advice from a LFS. Thought I was alone, and have buying everything online!

I know it's off topic, but I figured I kind of fit into the "education" section.

ByTor
01/31/2004, 06:34 PM
saltydoc, your not alone. Come and join in on the fun of us reefaholics... homepage (http://www.ncpars.com/)
and the swap site (http://www.fizzhome.com/ncpars/default.asp)

I think our club can get you going in the right direction... :)

Tagamet
01/31/2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by saltydoc
Don't mean to hijack,
But I was searching for info on RC, and came across this thread and the posts from other North Central PA residents. Howdy! I live in the Williamsport area and am a reef newbie. (I'm also a relative PA newbie; only moved here a couple of years ago.) I've never tried corals, because I'm afraid I can't keep them alive! My saltwater experience to date consists of running a FOWLR tank successfully for a year and having it crash after some bad fish and worse advice from a LFS. Thought I was alone, and have buying everything online!

I know it's off topic, but I figured I kind of fit into the "education" section.

Welcome aboard! I thought that I'd already met all the salties in the area (I'm in Lock Haven). I hope that you can make it to the swap!
Tagamet

zooqi
02/02/2004, 02:44 AM
SaltyDoc: good to see you here and hope to see you at the future meetings. I will be leaving Williamsport to go to the meeting if you want to come alone. The last meeting we had in Williamsport and it rurned out very good.

zooqi
02/02/2004, 02:46 AM
I'm drilling 6X 55 gallons this week and they have to be done by Wed and will let you know how it goes. lol.. I will have the bulkheads with me .
Originally posted by bmkindig
hey mo you going to have the parts to complete a water tight hole on these newly drilled tanks?
i was thinking of getting the 55 i'm getting drilled while i was there.
brad

saltydoc
02/03/2004, 12:56 PM
Wow, I wish I could come to the meeting, but working that/this weekend. So far, the reasons I would like to go:

1. To see people who can grow more than algae, and to ogle their tanks.

2. Never seen a tank drilled, but it sounds like a video someone loaned me in highschool! But seriously, this is one of those DIY projects that until this thread, I would probably never have even dreamed of doing myself.

3. Never seen a "frag swap."

4. Never in fact owned a frag (see "algae" statement above). I've been too scared to try corals yet, but I'm starting to get the "reef itch".

5. Convince my wife that I'm not completely crazy, or at least there are others out there like me

6. Find out if there are any RECOMMENDED LFS around.

P.S. What happened to Ron's?

Later,

SD

saltydoc
02/03/2004, 01:17 PM
BTW, Zooqi

I noticed you're a SCUBA instructor; where is a good place to dive in central PA? I'm technically certified, but it's been 12 or 13 years since I dove (when I lived in San Diego). I'm just curious.

SD

Tagamet
02/03/2004, 01:26 PM
Wow, I wish I could come to the meeting, but working that/this weekend. So far, the reasons I would like to go:

1. To see people who can grow more than algae, and to ogle their tanks.
2. Never seen a tank drilled, but it sounds like a video someone loaned me in highschool! But seriously, this is one of those DIY projects that until this thread, I would probably never have even dreamed of doing myself.
3. Never seen a "frag swap."
4. Never in fact owned a frag (see "algae" statement above). I've been too scared to try corals yet, but I'm starting to get the "reef itch".
5. Convince my wife that I'm not completely crazy, or at least there are others out there like me
6. Find out if there are any RECOMMENDED LFS around.
P.S. What happened to Ron's?
Later,
SD

All valid reasons, as far as I can see. At least SOME of our members would qualify on at least SOME of the points. For example, Mo can drill tanks, but only grows algae (g). It took me about 6 years of growing corals to get the nerve up to slice and dice them, but it kinda grows on you (literally). Convincing a spouse that one is not crazy, is always problematic, but even more so if said spouse likes boxes of saltwater. Ron's, pardon the pun, "went under". Animal Specialties in the Bason Street plaza is the closest thing we have to a "recomended LFS" but there are some within a 3 hour drive.
Sorry we won't see you at THIS swap, but there'll be others.
Tagamet

GarSrtn
02/03/2004, 08:52 PM
Actually, I'd like to have a hole drilled in a tank. I'll offer up a small tank if one of y'all will show me how it's done...

zooqi
02/03/2004, 11:54 PM
Tag's words are Gold :D

In this area I have a couple of areas I scuba dive. Rivers, Creeks, lakes and I live about 10 minutes -40 minutes from some areas. Once a while I take a longer drive to lake ontario, Dutch Springs, NY, NJ to scuba dive.

BTW, Zooqi

I noticed you're a SCUBA instructor; where is a good place to dive in central PA? I'm technically certified, but it's been 12 or 13 years since I dove (when I lived in San Diego). I'm just curious.

SD